Numbers on juice buckets?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinolan

Reaction score
I picked up a bucket each of sauvignon blanc and syrah on Tuesday from M&M. They were both frozen on top so I brought them into the basement to thaw. As they warmed on wed, I transferred the syrah into a larger fermenting bucket and added a Mosti all grape pack. I added >1/4 tsp of kmeta to each bucket and put heat belts on em so they'd get to about 70 deg. before pitching my yeast. I went to take readings this AM and found the Syrah was bubbling away! The readings I got were:
SB SG 1.093, pH 3.28 and free SO2 1.9968
Syrah SG 1.076 pH 3.18 free SO2 2.595

The sg for the syrah seems kinda low to me, and I'm especially concerned that it's started fermenting on its own. I don't want to have a batch ruined by bret. The grape pack was supposed to be sulfited.

I wonder if the sg for the syrah is low because it's started fermenting already? Should I dose it with more kmeta? Pitch my yeast and hope it's ok?I have a call into M&M but haven't heard back yet. Thanks for any suggestions you might have,
Mike

Hmmm, those free so2 numbers just can't be right. I used my handy Vinmetrica 100 and the formula in the instructions? Think I'll go do some re-cipherin'.

Back