Not a great start to wine making!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm making a WineXpert Luna Rossa kit. Starting SG was 1.100. Vigorous ferment for 5 days then it died down as expected.

In 2 of my previous 3 attempts at making wine, fermentation stopped after I transferred from primary to secondary. I don't just mean no bubbles in the airlock, the SGs didn't move even after weeks in secondary. On the advice of another forum, I decided to skip the transfer and ferment out in the bucket with an airlock.

After 14 days, all signs of fermentation have stopped. No bubbles in the airlock, no visible bubbles in the wine. This timeframe is reasonable for fermentation to complete for this kit, but I checked the SG and it's only 1.000.

The instructions say it should go to 0.998 so I'm not particularly impressed with it stopping at 1.000 as it was an expensive kit and I want to get it right.

As I've left it in the bucket I'm conscious of the oxidation risk of leaving it longer, plus I don't think it will ferment further, but also I don't want to move on to stabilising and clearing if fermentation has stopped early.

Any advice?

Scooby, I think it's time to move on to the next steps. Your hydrometer may be off a bit, happens often. Did you check it in water? Also, temperature effects what reading you get. Both may play a partial role. But after 14 days get it into a carboy under airlock. It will be fine sitting under airlock for a while just in case it has any more action, but if you feel you really need to hurry up the process that would be fine also.

Pam in cinti

Welcome to the forum!

"For Luna Rossa, Luna Bianca and Enigma: these wines will not ferment below 0.998. This is normal.
Once the gravity of these wines reaches 0.998 you can proceed with fining and stabilising."

IMHO, you can safely go another few days, testing once a day, to see that you've indeed stopped at SG 1.000.

Also, WE instructions for "selection" kits does not have you topping off for another 8 (Step 3) + 14 (Step 4) days. The topping off would be if you're going to bulk age for more than a month [this according to the instructions].

To sum up... I think you're fine. :try

Last edited:
The difference between 1.000 and 0.998 is nothing.. I doubt you will taste the difference.. that .998 is a guideline. Move to the next step..

Hi, thanks so much for the replies.

After I posted I decided to give it a good stir and increase the temperature by 1-2degs. To my amazement this seems to have kick started it, as this morning it is still giving off some activity.

Since you guys think I am safe for a few more days, I will leave it maybe until Sat, take another reading and rack. I'm trying to open the lid as little as possible.

I know it doesn't make much difference but I would love to see it just that fraction below 1.000!

I plan to age for 6months+ so I will top off later as per instructions.

Thanks a lot for the help

These kits say they won't ferment below 0.998, but my Luna Bianca went to 0.990 very quickly.

I've read this on a lot of forums so I really wanted it to go to at least 0.998!

I have some activity now so fingers crossed

Thanks

Scooby, I think it's time to move on to the next steps. Your hydrometer may be off a bit, happens often. Did you check it in water? Also, temperature effects what reading you get. Both may play a partial role. But after 14 days get it into a carboy under airlock. It will be fine sitting under airlock for a while just in case it has any more action, but if you feel you really need to hurry up the process that would be fine also.

Pam in cinti

I second Pam's recommendation to check your hydrometer. I have two and each reach about .04 different. It could just be that your wine is at or below .998 already, but you're hydrometer just happens to be a bit off calibration. There's no harm in that, as long as you know it. If this has happened two out of three times, that tells me it's more likely your hydrometer than your wine.

Test your hydrometer in 73 degree, or so, water and see if it reads 1.000. I bet you may find that it reads a little high. If so, then know that the difference from 1.000 to it's reading is what you would subtract from your wine reading to get the real SG.

My hydrometer seems fine, I tested this when I first got it, and I have my wine temperature controlled at 22-23degs cel.

I increased this to 24-25 yesterday.

The instructions say to keep it at 22-24deg cel but as I have some activity I'm going to leave it there right now.

Latest posts

Back