Normal PH and Low TA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xriddle

Reaction score
Need some advice ...

Just pressed and let my 2 batches (separate primary containers) settle and tested PH and TA. Both were fermented with RC212.

Both test 3.5-3.6 for PH on my PH meter which is calibrated and both test low in TA based on Acid Test Kit and using the method below. I'm getting readings in the 0.25% -0.3% for TA

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f71/how-take-acid-test-ph-meter-11244/

So I'm thinking i should be upping the acid. What do you guys think Should I? and if so should I do that ASAP. What would the dosage be?

Thanks

EDIT NOTE: I tried testing the TA of a MASI bottle sample i open a few hours ago and the acid seems to be low on that as well per my tests. Is that normal.

Last edited:
What wine is it? Wine with a pH of 3.5- 3.6 will have a somewhat low acid. Kit wines are famous for lower acid results. Tartaric acid would be an improvement, say 0.2 to 0.3 % increase. Don't add citric. Leave malic acid for the apple wines.

Its a combination of Merlot CS and Sangiovese grapes not a kit. The acid blend I have mentions citric should I not use it

To add to the above comments,

It is normal...

TA is the measure of the total volume/weight of acid in your wine. This can be a combination of different acids that have different strengths.

You PH meter takes into account the strength of the acids that your wine contains. Different acids have different strengths. Because of this, your PH meter is much more reliable and accurate than your TA test.

You can find that there are many times that your TA might be low, but your PH might be low as well.

Use only tartaric acid. This is naturally occuring in grapes.
When adjusting, I would advise to adjust based on your PH readings and not your TA readings.

Thanks for the responses guys ...Ok ... when and how do I add the tartaric. Do I need to dissolve it?

Do I add it before i attempt MLF?

"I would advise to adjust based on your PH readings" - Can you please clarify this. Do I add the acid and then measure my ph? What level am i looking for?

Tartaric can be added dry to the wine and stirred well to dissolve. Add it sooner rather than later for best results. Be careful as you can always add but you can't easily take it out. You want to shoot for a TA of between 6-8 g/l for a normal red wine. Whites are different usually.

The reason citirc acid is not good is that if it goes though a ML fermentation, the citric is metabolized and can produce some higher amounts of ethel acetate, and a kind of "buttery taste to the wine. Many do not like this and it can also lead to increase of acetic acid production due the ML Fermentation.

Tartaric acid can be sprinkled on the gapes/wine and merely stirred in. You can remove Tartaric later during cold stabilization, so if you overshoot, in some regards that is good, becuase when when cold stabilize it, the wine will loose quite a bit of acid in the form of Cream of Tartar aka Potassium Tartrate. At the winery we add 12 to 14 lbs per M (thousand) gallons during cold stabilization when the the wine temp reaches 32 F. Helps to precipitate out excess Tartaric Acid.

During MLF, your TA will drop some and your PH will rise a little, how much is very variable. Just don't adjust such that yor PH goes below about 3.25, as anything below that requires a special MLB. Just take the adjustments slow and easy.

I always like to add only half as much acid as the formula says, then retest and add more if necessary.

As the others stated, use only tartaric acid.

Should I mix right in my demijohn ... Or transfer off gross lees to a clean demi and then add and stir it?

Thanks For all the great info.

Latest posts

Back