Noble Muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I took the frozen 5 gallon bucket of skins out of the freezer this morning and it is currently thawing. Once everything is thawed I will begin the process of making this batch of Muscadine. I have 2 1/2 gallons of juice we pressed in October that is also frozen. I'm planning on splitting the grape skins into 2 6 gallon primaries and and adding half the juice to each. I figure I will also need to add about 1 - 1 1/2 gallons of water to each primary also. I'm hoping to end up with about 6-7 gallons of very full body Muscadine as an end result. I was planning on taking initial SG to about 1.090. I think with the flavor of the Miscadine, it can easily tolerate a SG of this level. My only concern will be getting fermentation going. The temps in my basement are about 50 degrees where I have my wine stuff. Looks like I'll be using a brew belt or 2.

it'll go on the wild easy if you let it lol I know that for sure started to many gallons of those grapes this year

I made 3 batches of Muscadine this year and only have ~1/2 a gallon left. My wife won't leave it alone long enough to get to a bottle. So, I put up some post and wire and now just waiting on those vines to come in. Gotta step it up to 6 gallon batches instead of gallon. I ordered 2 of the Noble.

I made 3 batches of Muscadine this year and only have ~1/2 a gallon left. My wife won't leave it alone long enough to get to a bottle. So, I put up some post and wire and now just waiting on those vines to come in. Gotta step it up to 6 gallon batches instead of gallon. I ordered 2 of the Noble.
to bad your not closer I'd give you some to make you abit more lol

Yea I would say that the nobles will take 1.090 very easily. I have my reds and noble all backsweeten and aging. Can't wait but I am being patient.

Making threats like that may get you a visit from my son whos coming home from SC on Wednesday.

Lets see, he should be passing through your area around 5:30ish... :h

I wasn't talking about you silly you already got some I was talking about
n2tazmania they only had a gallon. well maybe more not certain

Last edited:
I did 10 gallons of Nobles this year and the SG was at an adjusted 1.080 per Sacailat's recomendations. I have racked a couple of times and REALLY want to bottle as this wine is to DIE for. I will probably go ahead and bottle the next week or so. Damn this is tasty,. I don't think a higher Sg would do this wine any justice. My God this is flavorable. I had no idea!!!

I did 10 gallons of Nobles this year and the SG was at an adjusted 1.080 per Sacailat's recomendations. I have racked a couple of times and REALLY want to bottle as this wine is to DIE for. I will probably go ahead and bottle the next week or so. Damn this is tasty,. I don't think a higher Sg would do this wine any justice. My God this is flavorable. I had no idea!!!

LOL, yes it is to die for, that is why we are telling are friends and family that we will share with them but they have to come here for a glass, we are not giving bottles away. :tz I did 10 gallons of Noble at 1.082.

I wasn't talking about you silly you already got some I was talking about
n2tazmania they only had a gallon. well maybe more not certain

Just teasing with you Eddie. I am looking forward to hopefully meeting up next year to pick. I think it would be a fun time.

hopefully we'll get to pick those again next year...... I'm glad you like them Julie and I'm really glad I had the opportunity to get you guys the grapes I did. I'm really glad to see that they are being enjoyed as much as they are. Just wish I could've got more to some of the others on here that can't get them. Oh you guys gotta try mixing abit of 7up with some it makes a really good cooler type drink as well. Of course I had mine abit stronger than what you all did yours so might not be as good that way for you guys...LOL

I take mine up to 1.125 using Ison, Darlene, Sweet Jenny and Pam. Works good for me.

Well everything thawed. Here's what I did. 2 primaries each with 3 gallons of skins, 1 1/4 gallon pressed Noble Muscadine juice, 1 gallon warm water. Stirred to mix everthing well. SG of juice and skins was 1.044. Added sugar (9 cups) to get to 1.090. Added pectic enzyme. Will pitch yeast, nutrient and energizer tomorrow morning. Considering using either 1122 or D47 since I have an ample supply of both.

Juice tastes delicious.

Doug:

Would like to be able to get some of the muscadines next harvest also.... Since I am also in the Burg, let me know if , where & when I could get enough to make a batch. Sound like these are the Cadilac of grapes, everyone seems to love them.....
Al

Doug:

Would like to be able to get some of the muscadines next harvest also.... Since I am also in the Burg, let me know if , where & when I could get enough to make a batch. Sound like these are the Cadilac of grapes, everyone seems to love them.....
Al

Hi Al,

Do you like a sweet wine, muscadine can be dry to sweet but I believe they are their best as a sweet wine.

well maybe we can all go done at the same time and pick our hearts out. The property is up for sale and if this was 4 years from now my husband and I would probably very seriously think about buying it but I can not retire for another 3 years and my husband can not retire for another 4 years.

But we will wait and see what next year brings. If you are a sweet wine drinker I think you will totally love this wine and you need to get together with the rest of the western pa'ers the next time we get together.

Doug:

Al

what do you call a batch?? 1,3,5,6 gallon?

Latest posts

Back