No wine yeast....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thirrsty

Junior
Reaction score
Hi I would appreciate it if you share your knowledge and experience with me.

I am new to wine making. I have made my first try out bottle of grape juice wine 5 days ago.
It consists simply of the juice, sugar and instant yeast.

The steps were:
adding some yeast into a cup and pouring water over it, it became foamy and I added it to the juice, added sugar and shook it.
I open it daily (think I'm not supposed to). It has a sort of a sweet smell after shaking, the juice gets foamy on the top like a carbonated drink it also releases gas after shaking. Is there any danger of testing it or even drinking once it completes two weeks or so?

I have no access to wine east or nutrients so I would love instant yeast wine recipes from you.

If you have access to the internet to post on this forum, and a mailing address, you have access to all the winemaking equipment you need!

Bread yeast will make alcohol, sure, but it will never taste great. Trust me, I tried. Bread and wine yeast are selected for totally different traits.

spaniel said:
If you have access to the internet to post on this forum, and a mailing address, you have access to all the winemaking equipment you need!

My exact thoughts!

So you are making Tang with rain water or Kool-aid with a glass of public swimming pool water. Fish and chips man! Get some wine yeast off Ebay for $.99 a packet or Midwest Supplies even sells a one gallon kit with carboys and all the nutrient, campden, pectic enzyme, and more to keep you going for several batches for around $35. You can get free shipping items and good cheap supplies. Spend time on these forums and formulate your wish list.

I open the lid and stir my primary batches twice a day for the first 7 to 10 days. You aren't going wrong there.

Eventually, don't just make a drink you can't stand but gives you a buzz. Make something your friends fight you for and you are proud of.....that gives you a buzz.

Also, it is safe to take small tastes, but remember that wine is better once it ages. It's going to taste like cough syrup in two weeks, especially with bread yeast. Looking for a quick turnaround drink? Check out: http://skeeterpee.com

Again, basic wine ingredients will be required for anything to be enjoyable.

Smh wine and liquor is ILLEGAL where I live. So shipping in wine making items wouldn't be?
Anyways if any yeast still works, there must be something to improve the taste right?

Shipping wine yeast and supplies are not Illegal in the U.S. but some countrys it is. If you live in the states, even in a dry county we can ship to you leagaly.
Let us know what you want and where you live.
Cheers!

Smh wine and liquor is ILLEGAL where I live. So shipping in wine making items wouldn't be?

found this recipe for you. hth.

"Prison hooch can be made in your cell toilet (as long as you don't mind using other people's toilets or finding some other solution), or more often, in plastic trash bags. The recipe is simple: make a strong bag by double or triple-bagging some plastic trash bags and knotting the bottoms. Into this, pour warm water, some fruit or fruit juice, raisins or tomatoes, yeast, and as much sugar as you can get ahold of (or powdered drink mix). Now tie off the top of the bag, letting a tube of some kind protrude so the thing won't explode while it gives off carbon dioxide. Now hide the bag somewhere and wait at least three days. A week is enough.

One of the problems you have right away with making wine in prison is the difficulty getting yeast. It's a strictly forbidden item and you might not be able to get any. In this case you can improvise the by using slices of bread, preferably moldy (but not dry) and preferably inside a sock for easier straining.

If you choose to brew your wine in your cell, you'll need to hide it behind your bunk and do what you can to hide the smell. Burning cinnamon as incense is one way. Spraying deodorant around is another. Normal wine takes at least a month if not six weeks to make at all properly -- but in hell, this is all you get."

Anyways if any yeast still works, there must be something to improve the taste right?

Thirrsty,

You can, in fact, make wine from bread yeast, however, your results might not be very good. Bread yeasts are engineered to rise fast and are rather aggressive. They are engineered for the making of bread and are not expected to be used in a long, drawn out process like making wine.

I see no harm in ordering yeast over the internet as you can now probably go to a store in your country and purchase yeast (for bread). If anyone asks, just say that you intend to make a french bread with a french wine yeast.

Good luck.

johnT.

Thirrsty,

You can, in fact, make wine from bread yeast, however, your results might not be very good. Bread yeasts are engineered to rise fast and are rather aggressive. They are engineered for the making of bread and are not expected to be used in a long, drawn out process like making wine.

I see no harm in ordering yeast over the internet as you can now probably go to a store in your country and purchase yeast (for bread). If anyone asks, just say that you intend to make a french bread with a french wine yeast.

Good luck.

johnT.

Are you talking in terms of flavor?
Do baker's yeast and wine yeast produce the same amount of alcohol?

Bakers yeast produces about 7% to 10%, wine yeast produces from 12% to 18%. Distilling yeast will go up to 23% but don't think you would want to use that for making wine.
EC 1118 wine yeast will hit 18% for 99c a pack which will do up to 6 gallons. Just need to add enough sugar.

Brew and Wine Supply said:
Bakers yeast produces about 7% to 10%, wine yeast produces from 12% to 18%. Distilling yeast will go up to 23% but don't think you would want to use that for making wine.
EC 1118 wine yeast will hit 18% for 99c a pack which will do up to 6 gallons. Just need to add enough sugar.

I've seen this exact same post on another forum years ago and a gentlemen mentioned that although bread yeast is rated for only low alcohol level, he had occasions where it fermented his wine dry. I think there has to be an element of luck here. So don't expect the breast yeast to finish the fermentation but maybe you'll be lucky.

Brew and Wine Supply said:
with a low enough sugar content it will ferment dry.

This guy specifically mentioned it being in the usual wine range(12-14%)
Again, this is not first hand experience for me, just a thread I read a few years ago on another forum. I have no actual experience using bread yeast.

Thirrsty, sorry it took me so long - had to find the thread

I had a conversation with another person, in a similiar predicament. I dont know what ever came of it but i was on a roll during those oouple days, tryin to help him out.

Might be worth a read

Thanks deezil, my exact situation. And your post there highlighted many relevant things but.....are the ingredients you mentioned optional (raisins, bananas, lemon juice)?
Was hoping that the guy would get a recipe with instructions in the end :m

Last edited:
They're optional, in a sense... They'd definitely bring benefits to the wine

raisins bring some grape compounds, some body/mouthfeel
bananas help bring some mouthfeel
lemon juice brings some acidity

I kind of hashed together a recipe in the middle of the first page, but upon a second glance, it'd make more than a gallon

What parts are you still not sure on?

Hmm well...My first batch of tryout wine is 6 days old now and I'm hesitating to try it because of the oxygen exposure thing being bad after primary fermentation (Read around but not sure about the oxygen part as the articles/recipes I have read have different approaches to it.)
And not sure about trying it also because.....this might actually turn out to be good or alot better in a few days.

Where I would like clarification is:

- Is it true that primary fermentation is about 3-5 days? and there should absolutely be no oxygen exposure after it?

- Some people say they stir their wine daily {---- this is contradicts

- Alot of easy recipes that involve only sugar, yeast and juice only mix them together and store.....will baker's yeast survive long on only sugar? or long enough to produce good results?

Hmm well...My first batch of tryout wine is 6 days old now and I'm hesitating to try it because of the oxygen exposure thing being bad after primary fermentation (Read around but not sure about the oxygen part as the articles/recipes I have read have different approaches to it.)
And not sure about trying it also because.....this might actually turn out to be good or alot better in a few days.

Where I would like clarification is:

- Is it true that primary fermentation is about 3-5 days? and there should absolutely be no oxygen exposure after it?

- Some people say they stir their wine daily {---- this is contradicts

- Alot of easy recipes that involve only sugar, yeast and juice only mix them together and store.....will baker's yeast survive long on only sugar? or long enough to produce good results?

1 - Primary fermentation has to do a lot with question #3 + temperature.. Can be 3-5 days, can be up to about 2 weeks.. Oxygen exposure becomes the wines downfall after all/most of the co2 has been dissipated - this usually takes a few/6-8 months on its own

2 - Stirring during fermentation keeps any solids wet - so they dont mold - and helps stir any yeast that get buried in sediment, back into suspension.. Stir in the beginning, during fermentation; dont stir when the wine is clearing/aging

3 - Yeast, like any living thing, "can" live on 1 food source, but does "better" with more sources - these are the primary reasons i listed raisins, bananas, etc - they contain small amounts of nutrients that the yeast will use up, as well as contributing to the overall wine.. Raisins, which were once grapes, contain more nutrients that the yeast will need, than if the raisins werent included. There's the potential for the yeast to struggle without the right nutrients, and that can result in off smells/tastes - more common among these is H2S / rotten egg smell.

I wouldnt be scared to try your 6-day old batch.. I'd be prepared for some "green"/tart flavors, maybe some yeasty notes from the yeast still in suspension, and a very-forward alcohol appearance that will fade into the back over time

Thanks deezil, my exact situation. And your post there highlighted many relevant things but.....are the ingredients you mentioned optional (raisins, bananas, lemon juice)?
Was hoping that the guy would get a recipe with instructions in the end :m

Ah. That clears it up.

If you are desperate enough, you can basically ferment any juice with bread yeast and some extra sugar. It may not be that good, but it is drinkable. I used to typically have a couple gallon jugs going in my dorm room during college. :b

Latest posts

Back