No water in airlock - secondary fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jody

Reaction score
This was my first wine kit. I bought a 4 week kit. For the first 2 weeks I just had the lid on loose for the primary fermenter as instructed by the wine supply store. However during the secondary stage in the carboy I attached an airlock without putting any water in it. The wine was in the carboy for 3 weeks with the wine surface exposure about 2".

From what I understand this may have led to oxidization of the wine. What effects will missing this step of the process have on my finished product.

The wine was bottled two days ago. I couldn't wait to drink it and I have already had a few bottles. Is there anything taste wise that would indicate this step being skipped.

If it tastes fine I wouldnt worry to much. Do you plan on aging for a long time?

First of all, welcome to a great forum.There are members on here who will keep you informed and keep you entertained and that is a combination that is hard to beat!
Since this is your first wine, I doubt that it will last long enough to worry about. White wines are more susceptible to oxidation than reds and both will show a brownish tinge to the colour and a sweetish taste, like a sherry.

agreed that it probably was not long enough to do any real damage.....but only because it is early in the procedure and likely had enough co2 still present....of concern to me, if i read you correctly is...degassing...did you degas before bottling?

if not then dont place that wine in a situation of temp fluctuations unless you have plastic wrapped the room

agreed that it probably was not long enough to do any real damage.....but only because it is early in the procedure and likely had enough co2 still present....of concern to me, if i read you correctly is...degassing...did you degas before bottling?

if not then dont place that wine in a situation of temp fluctuations unless you have plastic wrapped the room

Lol, Al.
Wish somebody had told me that way back when. Would of been easier to clean up for sure. Arne.

we all learn Arne ...the beautiful thing about all of us learning these things is that there is a laughable and humble moment where we all realize that there is a truth about the simplest things that have a way of finding there way into our lives and teaching is that our willful efforts have no pre-eminence over basic, sweet little pre-existing laws...call it laws of nature if you will :)

those little moments are the times to pour a little wine glass and be thankful for the teaching

Wow this is one great forum! Such excellent replies from all of you!

I am glad to hear my mistake caused minimal damage.

It does taste good. Very fruity, not enough body for my liking but that is what you get from a light bodied 4 week kit I assume.

I don't plan on aging all that long. The maximum aging for this wine kit is 1.5 years, I am not sure if I am supposed to add that additive(I forget the name) or not to age that long. I wouldn't mind saving a few bottles for that long so I can go back and compare to see how my hobby is progressing. My storage basement is constant at 15C or 59F.

I am not sure what degassing is. I did filter the wine when bottling. I do believe that there may have been a chemical I added after transferring in to the carboy during a period where I stirred 6 times in 12 hours.

Thanks all And I will have that glass of wine pondering my teachings :D

Wow this is one great forum! Such excellent replies from all of you!

I am glad to hear my mistake caused minimal damage.

It does taste good. Very fruity, not enough body for my liking but that is what you get from a light bodied 4 week kit I assume.

I don't plan on aging all that long. The maximum aging for this wine kit is 1.5 years, I am not sure if I am supposed to add that additive(I forget the name) or not to age that long. I wouldn't mind saving a few bottles for that long so I can go back and compare to see how my hobby is progressing. My storage basement is constant at 15C or 59F.

I am not sure what degassing is. I did filter the wine when bottling. I do believe that there may have been a chemical I added after transferring in to the carboy during a period where I stirred 6 times in 12 hours.

Thanks all And I will have that glass of wine pondering my teachings :D

After fermentation, the wine is loaded with CO2 gas. That gas, if not removed, will cause the wine to have a fizz in your mouth, like sparkling wine does. In the case of normal wine, it also can make the wine taste a little bitter. At some point in the instructions, you should have been instructed to use a stirrer of some sort to stir the wine, so the CO2 will rise out of the wine. That is degassing.

I do believe that there may have been a chemical I added after transferring in to the carboy during a period where I stirred 6 times in 12 hours. :D

Notes, Notes, notes, did I say notes... keep notes on everything you do. that way you know what you did or did not do later in line and also when you make another batch you can go back and check what you did in the past.

also welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome. I guess I should have been more specific. I meant I am to lazy to walk down the stairs and get the kit directions to see the name of that additive. Notes are a good idea for sure when needed.

Back