No radish wine recipes!!???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the home grown radish has so much flavor. Every year I grow mostly the French breakfast radish, a bit on the spicy side. Great fresh, and I also make a radish kraut that's darn good. Of course I had to search for a radish wine recipe. Zero zip zilch nada nothing! Not a mention anywhere, not even Keller. What gives?

Can anyone offer any insight?

Without admonitions and no available recipes I think I know where this is going.......

Can anyone offer any insight?
With radish, it's not just bite -- there's bitterness. My dad grew black radish -- he peeled it, sliced it thin, and layered in a dish with salt. Let it rest 40 minutes and the bitterness is gone.

Depending on the bitterness of the radish, this treatment, followed by a good rinsing to eliminate the salt, might be helpful.

I'd use a mixture of radish varieties, including daikon.

Beet is too standard I'm waiting for him to try the eggplant and sweetcorn blend.

I think winemaker_81 found the same link.
Nope, I didn't search before I posted. I have since then, and found zip. This is surprising, as I figured SOMEONE would have tried it. However, I did find this thread:

I plant black spanish radishes and I'm wondering if I should plant a few more than usual to harvest and make into wine.
Jericurl, can you comment? Thanks!

I found that roasted radishes lose all their bitterness and are so delicious- the flavor is incredible, I'm wondering if doing a percentage of the radishes dry roasted (obviously no oil/salt/pepper) would help mellow out the bite and bring the actual flavor forward?

I'm impatiently waiting for a recipe to test- I love how fast and easy radishes are to grow so I ought to get enough volume easy-peasy!

@CortneyD's idea of roasting the radishes is better than mine. Although ... I can visualize roasting some, salting-n-rinsing some, and using some raw to provide a mixture. Take all the bitterness out, the radish flavor may be gone.

Note that this could turn out like garlic wine -- useful for cooking, not drinking. But in my book, that's ok!

Back