No radish wine recipes!!???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son in law tried making Agave Wine a while back. (Roasted it)
i have these big blue agaves in my yard. Every now and then I have to take one of the hundred pounders out.

The grass is still dead in the ditch where I poured it out. Harvesting radishes sounds easier.
WAY easier!

With radish, it's not just bite -- there's bitterness. My dad grew black radish -- he peeled it, sliced it thin, and layered in a dish with salt. Let it rest 40 minutes and the bitterness is gone.

Depending on the bitterness of the radish, this treatment, followed by a good rinsing to eliminate the salt, might be helpful.

I'd use a mixture of radish varieties, including daikon.

A mix might be a good idea, though the French breakfast would be the star. I really like the spicy peppery flavor.

My radishes can be different each year and I have no control over the weather. Some years there's some bitter, some years there's an unexpected sweetness. I'll just have to wait and see how they turn out.

Beet is too standard I'm waiting for him to try the eggplant and sweetcorn blend.
Oooohh, sweetcorn wine!
Oooohh, eggplant wine!
Oooohh, sweetcorn-eggplant wine!
Thank you! They went on the wine list!

I'm getting together one last seed order from Baker Creek and I actually have my eye on Melanzane Rosso Di Rotanda, Chinese String, and Black Beauty eggplant. The Chinese string is supposed to be sweet enough to eat raw.

I found that roasted radishes lose all their bitterness and are so delicious- the flavor is incredible, I'm wondering if doing a percentage of the radishes dry roasted (obviously no oil/salt/pepper) would help mellow out the bite and bring the actual flavor forward?

I'm impatiently waiting for a recipe to test- I love how fast and easy radishes are to grow so I ought to get enough volume easy-peasy!
Interesting idea! I'll have to see how my radishes taste his year.

I have a tomatillo wine on my list and was thinking about roasting them first. The change in flavor is remarkable.

That link @VinesnBines shared was fascinating, the wine looked like an unfiltered sake! The glutinous rice makes sense then! Reading your link verifies that! Fascinating! Has anyone here made or attempted sake? Could this be the way forward? That recipe only stated that it used radish juice, presumably added to the rice mix???
And this is why my wine list continues to grow. Rice wine and sake are on my list. Completely different animals.

Oooohh, eggplant wine!
Sorry, but you cross a line on this one. Gotta put you on my ignore list!!!
;)

[I can tolerate most vegetables, but eggplant and peas are on my "do not pass the lips" list. ;)]

And this is why my wine list continues to grow. Rice wine and sake are on my list. Completely different animals.
I've seen quickie recipes for sake (I LOVE sake!, especially nigori!), but the long recipe for sake is very labor intensive. I keep coming back to it and may try it some time. The urge is there ... which I know you understand!

Oooohh, sweetcorn wine!
Oooohh, eggplant wine!

I'm getting together one last seed order from Baker Creek and I actually have my eye on Melanzane Rosso Di Rotanda, Chinese String, and Black Beauty eggplant. The Chinese string is supposed to be sweet enough to eat raw.
Fellow Baker Creek Mega-Fan here! I'm desperately trying to not put in a third order this year. You are not helping!

* radish is a low sugar, low YAN, low trace nutrient. One should treat this kinda like a dandelion wine and add all required nutrition. or Like turnip or beet.
* fiber gives a lot of rigidity to the vegetable, steaming will soften the fiberous cells. Juliane grated is a second option if one does a five day steep like grape skins.
* the wife says oh yuck and a few more words, translated treat it like heat in a jalapeño sauce or ginger spicyness
* aromatics are low therefore the 1% flowers in the patent reference
* I don’t know the ionicera, wonder what function, this reminds me of one factory project extracting the yellow pigment from marigold flowers, ,,, “natural“ color.
* radish is fairly common in Japan/ sake country.

as always Dave you have interesting tastes.

Sorry, but you cross a line on this one. Gotta put you on my ignore list!!!
;)

I've seen quickie recipes for sake (I LOVE sake!, especially nigori!), but the long recipe for sake is very labor intensive. I keep coming back to it and may try it some time. The urge is there ... which I know you understand!
Oh No!!
I know what you mean, though. When I was a kid my mom would make breaded eggplant now and then - and I would only eat the breading. I still refuse to buy it from the grocery store. I either grow it or buy from farmer's markets. There's a definite difference. There are many wonderful recipes with eggplant and my love for food gradually helped me overcome my disdain and revulsion.

I like sake, too! If I make sake I want it to be as close to authentic as possible. Seems like I read over the recipe about once a month and think "Maybe next week".

with your marriage background an Asian/ pacific theme wine, , , , the primary flavor coming off kelp powder, (WTF.com {we transform food} is a source for unique food ingredients like kelp powder, ,,, ie similar to what industry has available)
Oooohh, sweetcorn wine!
Oooohh, eggplant wine!

Last edited:
with your marriage background an Asian/ pacific theme wine, , , , the primary flavor coming off kelp powder, (WTF {we transform food} is a source for unique food ingredients like kelp powder, ,,, ie similar to what industry has available)
That's a great idea!
I'm so sorry I didn't start this hobby years ago. SO much room for experimentation!
Every time I go to an Asian food store I'm constantly saying WTF - the other meaning. Their flavors are certainly, uh, unique.

Back