No longer a Hydrometer Virgin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebronze

Reaction score
Well, at 10:21 tonight, I lost my hydrometer virginity. After taking the evening readings, the sucker slipped out of my hand, clanked on the top of a carboy and separated into two. Having read so many stories on this site of lost hydrometers, I just calmly reached for my backup and said "next victim". I was sad though thinking about all the good wine we had made together. All in, I was proud to make almost a year with this one, since I am fairly clumsy.

LOL, sorry for your loss. Now you have to remember to replace it next time you get to a store or make an order. Good luck with the new one. Arne.

I know that I am going to regret posting this (because I will shortly break my hydrometer) but I have never broken one. I have, however, broken a thermometer. I set it down a little too hard, I guess, on its top and the top shattered. The replacement that I got from George had a rubber protector on the top. I guess I was not the only one.

I know that I am going to regret posting this (because I will shortly break my hydrometer) but I have never broken one. I have, however, broken a thermometer. I set it down a little too hard, I guess, on its top and the top shattered. The replacement that I got from George had a rubber protector on the top. I guess I was not the only one.

+1 to what rocky said.......i have been in and out of wine making for the past 7 years, and still have my original hydrometer that came with my kit....i too have broken a thermometer, which occurred while cleaning my equipment in the spare bath tub....forgot i had it laying in the tub, and i set a full bucket i was cleaning out down right on top of it....."CRUNCH".....lol....shattered into shards, but the hardest part of the cleanup was all the little beads from the bottom of it all over the place....lol...

Well, I finished the evening readings with the new hydrometer without incident. Kind of like driving after an accident, took it real slow. Thank goodness the numbers are bigger on this one, I am too old to see the numbers and can't always find my glasses! I love the smell of fermentation in the morning!

I'm with Rocky and G8Keeper, a decade of brewing and still using the hydrometer that came with my first kit. Hopefully winemaking won't be the straw that breaks its back.

Latest posts

Back