No Hangovers from Wine??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonsblood

Reaction score
Hang onto your corkscrews, ladies and gentlemen, because researchers at the University of Illinois have revealed the distinct possibility that in the near future, wine drinkers will be on the receiving end of a wine that promises no more hangovers.

Thanks to a process the scientists have dubbed a “genome knife,” which allows for the genetic modification of yeast used in beers, wine, and other fermented items, such as bread, the genetic modification of yeast is now possible. Before this process was developed, genetically engineering yeast proved difficult due to its lack of auxotrophic markers — gene mutations that make it impossible to synthesize certain compounds that are necessary for growth, forcing the organism to search for its lacking compounds in its environment. However, the development of the “knife” allows scientists to generate synthetic auxotrophic markers, which can then be manipulated to change the genetic make-up of the yeast.
In plain English: Geniuses at the University of Illinois tinkered with the yeast used in vino and realized they can make everyone’s dream come true by taking away the ingredient that causes hangovers.
Yong-Su Jin, a University of Illinois associate professor of microbial genomics, principal investigator in the Energy Biosciences Institute, and one of the researchers involved in the study, explained it more thoroughly in a press release on the breakthrough.
“Fermented foods — such as beer, wine, and bread–are made with polyploid strains of yeast, which means they contain multiple copies of genes in the genome. Until now, it’s been very difficult to do genetic engineering in polyploid strains because if you altered a gene in one copy of the genome, an unaltered copy would correct the one that had been changed.”
Essentially, the genome knife can cut across the target gene until each instance of the gene in the genome has been sliced.

I thought it was the alcohol that gave you the hangover, no?

I don't get hangovers from drinking. If you are one who tends to over indulge, make sure you drink a couple classes of water before going to bed. Hangovers are normally caused by dehyration.

I don't get hangovers from drinking. If you are one who tends to over indulge, make sure you drink a couple classes of water before going to bed. Hangovers are normally caused by dehyration.

Your spot on Julie..and a few Ibuprofens B4 bed don't hurt either..:slp

I totally agree with Julie. Drink at least 8 oz. of water before bed and no hangover.(not that that's coming from personal experience ;) )

While some of the hangovers can be explained by dehydration, as Julie pointed out, it is not the be all and end all of hangovers.

How to explain the SEVERE hangover that one has experienced after drinking a seemingly very minute amount of wine? Part of the answer lies in metabolic compounds that are generated by the yeasts or MLB during fermentation such as biogenic amines and others. Some people are very sensitive to specific compounds which induce headaches or hangover like symptoms.

A genetic manipulation tool as described above lays the groundwork for being able to select yeasts that produce more or less of these compounds. We are still very far from the hangover cure however as there does not exist and extensive body of work on the metabolic impact of the specific compounds.

Wow!!! After reading DB's first post I got a headache! Musta' been that "genome knife" right on target.... LOL. Anyway, I've never heard of a little hangover discouraging a wine sampler :dg

My dear husband has, just a few times, gotten stumbling drunk and yet he NEVER has a hangover. One of the truly blessed, I suppose. I think it is somewhat a matter of genetics. But I, IMHO, attempt to stay away from anything "GMO". Thus the reason for making my own wine. In this GMO world I am sure my life is not completely GMO free, but I think I'll just modify the amount of wine I enjoy and leave it at that!

I also agree with Julie regarding water. I am very susceptible to headaches and migraines, so I take two Tylenol if I plan on drinking more than a glass or two, drink in moderation and drink plenty of water. I also make sure I have a good meal before or with my wine.

I also agree with Julie regarding water. I am very susceptible to headaches and migraines, so I take two Tylenol if I plan on drinking more than a glass or two, drink in moderation and drink plenty of water. I also make sure I have a good meal before or with my wine.

Angelina, please do not take Tylenol when drinking any kind of alcohol!!! You are risking your life when you do that. Actually just stay away from Tylenol!

It's the acetaminophen.

Although I don't take Tylenol, I take iboprofen, not sure why Julie is saying to completely stay away from it.

Continual use of Acetaminophen and alcohol has been shown to increase your chances of kidney issues. I don't think there is any evidence that occasional use is going to be a problem.

It's the acetaminophen.

Although I don't take Tylenol, I take iboprofen, not sure why Julie is saying to completely stay away from it.

A 100+% increase in the incidence of kidney disease.

Ibuprofen isn't much better and can produce liver damage when used over time.

Your best bet is to just use wine as your pain killer. :) But only your own. That commercial garbage is full of arsenic. :)

A 100+% increase in the incidence of kidney disease.

Ibuprofen isn't much better and can produce liver damage when used over time.

Your best bet is to just use wine as your pain killer. :) But only your own. That commercial garbage is full of arsenic. :)

Acetaminophen used WITHOUT alcohol in moderation is fine. All these claims are when things are not used in moderation.
Same as with ibuprofen. Unless you are overusing it, your liver will be just fine.

Now using wine as a pain killer, yes our own, is great advice.

Acetaminophen and alcohol do not mix. The school district where I work at had a 17 year old in our school who hurt her back, so she took Tylenol, took two every four hours, right thru the night. She didn't realize there was a limit on how much per day, by 4 am her parents were calling an ambulance, she died before the ambulance got her to the hospital. I have a friend who designed lung machines and he told me, three mixed drinks and two Tylenol and you are dead. Ibuprofen won't do that to you.

Simply,,,, the most remarkable discovery in pharmaceuticals,,,, ASPIRIN. Any pharmacist will tell you that the biggest mistake ever made in the world of pharms was allowing ASPIRIN to be available OTC vs prescription. "When taken as directed" it truly is a miracle drug.

Last edited:
Acetaminophen and alcohol do not mix. The school district where I work at had a 17 year old in our school who hurt her back, so she took Tylenol, took two every four hours, right thru the night. She didn't realize there was a limit on how much per day, by 4 am her parents were calling an ambulance, she died before the ambulance got her to the hospital. I have a friend who designed lung machines and he told me, three mixed drinks and two Tylenol and you are dead. Ibuprofen won't do that to you.

Wow, I knew prolonged use was not healthy, but did not know it could be this unhealthy! Thank you for taking the time to explain Julie! Think I will switch to ibuprofen for the occasional use.

Back