No gas at all...What?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodawg

Junior
Reaction score
I recently fermented a gallon of banana wine from SG 1.090 to .099 in 12 days. It was a violent ferment with a bubbler on the pail (wife loves watching them). Racked to carboy and treated with campden tab. and 1/2 tsp. potassium sorb. (16 Dec.). I was degassing other wines to bottle today and noticed how clear it was. Racked it off the lees and attempted to degassing. I could not raise a single bubble. Am I missing something or do bananas not give you gas? (Pun intended)

Sounds like your ferment is pretty close to done. Strange things happen when you are making wine and this might be one of them. Just don't count on it happening that way next time, although it might. I would let it sit for a month or two and if it clears, count it done. Arne.

Your problem probably is that the solubility of CO2 is quite high at low temperature, you can encourage gas to come out of solution by warming the wine so that it is at summer temperatures.
Removing gas depends on driving force (partial pressure of the gas). As a test on commercial wines I will pull a vacuum and see how violent it bubbles. Some on this forum do this with a brake bleeder tool, another inexpensive way is to use a Vacuvin wine preserver which is a check valve and pump that pulls 15 inches Hg. There are several discussions on degassing in the search menu above such as;
Agreed. Before I could afford my AIO, I used something similar. I'm sure it is a Vacu-Vin too, The one I have is actually the perfect size for a #7 1/2 bung, which is just small enough for my carboys. Put the bung in, pump the air out and wait. Pump again when no sign of bubbles. Repeat. There’s a little tab on the rubber piece that acts as the check valve. Lifting it gave a very good indication of how much vacuum remained, and thus how well degassed it was. Now that I have an AIO, it’s gathering dust, and my shoulder thanks me.
View attachment 72288

Back