No fermentation after 2 days

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyguy65

Reaction score
Well, Mrs Chevy and I returned from Door County with 15 lbs of Montmorency Cherries. We started a 3 gallon batch on the 16th and added the yeast on the 17th (lalvin 71B-1122). The starting SG was 1.086 and the acid was .5 after adding 3 tsp of acid blend. We prepared the yeast as the instructions stated. Last night there still wasnt any fermentation started so We added 1 1/2 tsp of energizer. This morning still no fermentation. Should pitch a new batch of yeast or just give it more time? Ive used Lalvin yeast before and had fermentation in less than a day.Oh ya... temp. is @72* (must)

Did you add K-Meta or Campden tabs to your must when you started??? I would give it a little more time , but have more yeast on hand.

We added 3 campden tablets at the start... and let it sit for 24hrs before adding the yeast.
Thanks for the quick response!

Here is the recipe:
15lbs Montmorency Cherries
5 1/2 lbs sugar
3 tsp acid blend
3 tsp Nutrient
1 1/2 tsp Pectic enzyme
3 Campden tablets
1 1/2 tsp Energizer
2 gallons water

lalvin 71B1122Edited by: chevyguy65

Everything sounds right or I missed something...maybe give it a good stir too..
smiley24.gif

Give it a stir every day. Also give it a day and it should be going to town. You could add another packet of yeast, but I don't think it will be needed.

Did you re-hydrate the yeast or just sprinkle it on the juice? If you re-hydrated it properly, I would think you would have fermentation showing by now. Give it another day and if no noticeable activity I wouldtry it again. Your yeast wasn't expired was it?

Chevy, I've had 2 packets of 71B that I pitched into my raspberry wine that did not take. Both were listed as a 2009 expiry date,and I almost lost my batch! I know that the company I purchased them from has a great handling record, so the yeast was kept properly. In the end, I had to pitch K1V-1116 to get it all going. I didn't rehydrate, I just sprinkled on top like I normally do.

This was the first time I've had a problem with 71b. Maybe there is just a dead batch going around?

Well here is the scoop on this batch.... I still had no fermentation started by thursday night so I added another packet of 71b-1122 that we had and by Friday morning we had fermentation.(this time it was just sprinkled on top) We left town and came home on Saturday night and when returned home we had Cherry soda brewing(At least thats what it looked like)
smiley20.gif

Dean- my packets also had an 2009 expiration date on it...... maybe they do have a bad batch out there.
smiley11.gif

I sure hope so chevy. I have a batch of tart cherry that I can't get going either. I used 71B1122 also. It would make me feel better if it was the yeast and notsomething thatI am doing. Edited by: swillologist

George,

Have you heard anything from the makers of lalvin yeast on a bad batch of
71B1122 ?

I pitched some EC-1118 this morning. It is going like crazy right now.
smiley32.gif
I don't know if it was me or the yeast.
smiley5.gif
I pitched them both exactly the same.

EC-1118 is 1 of the best yeasts there is especially for a stuck fermentation.

Latest posts

Back