Next Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnydipper

Reaction score
My pumpkin is making magic. I have a three gallon primary and two one gallon jugs just sitting there, clean and empty! Thinking that if I start a one gallon something or other it will be ready to drink next Christmas. So- what to do? Any suggestions for one gallon wine recipes? I haven't found a one gallon kit.

Some cranberry wine would go pretty good with that pumpkin wine.
VPC

Skinny,

Here is a recipe from this site. Whatever you decide to make, I would suggest making more than a gallon. A year is a mighty long time for tastin...

<TABLE =table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" align=center>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =pageer vAlign=top align=middle>
<DIV align=center>
Cranberry Wine
transgrapes.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>

Makes one gallon.

Ingredients:
<TABLE =table cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD width="56%">3 lbs. Cranberries </TD>
<TD width="44%">7 Pints Water</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>2-1/2 lbs. Sugar</TD>
<TD>1/2 pt Red Grape Concetrate</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme</TD>
<TD>1 Campden, crush</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>1 Pkg Wine Yeast</TD>
<TD>1/2 tsp Yeast Energizer</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD></TD>
<TD></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Keep your acid tester and hydrometer handy. As with all wild fruit the sugar and acid content varies greatly from year to year and even from one location to another. The recipe above is a general recipe to use which you may have to adjust.

Directions:

1. <LI>Pick berries when they are fully ripened and sound.
    <LI>Wash the berries and place into nylon straining bag. Press, crush and strain juice into primary fermenter. Keeping all pulp in straining bag, tie top and place in primary.
    <LI>Stir in all other ingredients EXCEPT yeast. Cover primary.
    <LI>After 24 hrs., add yeast . Cover primary.
    <LI>Stir daily, check hydrometer reading (S.G.) and press pulp lightly to aid extraction.
    <LI>When ferment reaches S.G. 1.030 (about 5 days) strain juice from bag. Syphon off sediment into clean secondary. Attach lock.
    <LI>When S.G. reaches 1.000 (usually about 3 weeks), fermentation is complete. Syphon juice off sediment into clean glass container. Re-attach airlock.
    <LI>To aid in clearing, syphon again in 2 months and again, if necessary, before bottling.
    <LI>Allow the wine to age. </LI>
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Looks perfect!

Does anyone have a yeast recomendation for this? I typically prefer dry to semi-sweet wines.

Thanks,
SD

Thanks Gaudet, I am watching your thread. I'm going to be morethan 6 days behind you though, my weekend is shaping up to be very busy now, but I'm off the next two weeks!

I would look into what fruits are on sale in you area and make the one that you want, Just find a fruit and im sure someone here can get you a good rcipe in no time at all.

On my Cranberry wine I used montrachet and on my Cranberry mead I used RC212. The wine is good needs more time. The mead is fantastic and I'll be making more very soon.
VPC

Back