Newbie two weeks in with questions.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall

Reaction score
I'm sure I've made the classic rookie moves so here goes, I got a plastic 5g R/O water jug, added 8-12oz cans of Welches Grape Juice, boiled in water and added 8lbs. of sugar and added a 7g pack of active dry yeast. I poked a hole in the lid and wrapped the top in Saran Wrap. It frothed for two days and now is making a small amount of small bubbles. It has been in the closet for two weeks. Here are my questions- When should I siphon it off of the muck?, When I do siphon it, should I seal the new jugs or vent them? Do I put it in the fridge? Did I add enough juice, and if not can I add it now or later? Thanks for suggestions.

Marshall said:
I'm sure I've made the classic rookie moves so here goes, I got a plastic 5g R/O water jug, added 8-12oz cans of Welches Grape Juice, boiled in water and added 8lbs. of sugar and added a 7g pack of active dry yeast. I poked a hole in the lid and wrapped the top in Saran Wrap. It frothed for two days and now is making a small amount of small bubbles. It has been in the closet for two weeks. Here are my questions- When should I siphon it off of the muck?, When I do siphon it, should I seal the new jugs or vent them? Do I put it in the fridge? Did I add enough juice, and if not can I add it now or later? Thanks for suggestions.

First off, welcome.
You should siphon it (rack) when fermentation has completely stopped, this can be tested with a hydrometer. When you rack it you should degas it. Then you should add potassium metabisulfate 1 tsp should be enough. You should really invest in an airlock and bung and cover your carboy that way.

Start making your wine the right way, invest the extra penny, the difference in quality is completely worth it.

Best of luck.

First off, welcome.
You should siphon it (rack) when fermentation has completely stopped, this can be tested with a hydrometer. When you rack it you should degas it. Then you should add potassium metabisulfate 1 tsp should be enough. You should really invest in an airlock and bung and cover your carboy that way.

Start making your wine the right way, invest the extra penny, the difference in quality is completely worth it.

Best of luck.
Yes, I plan to upgrade equipment in the future. There are hydrometers in the automotive and aquarium field. Will these work? Could you explain how to degas? Can I get potassium metabisulfate at a grocery store?

You can google any question you may have and it will lead you right back here for some excellent answers. I generally ignore any leads other than here.

Hi Marshall,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. My best advice I can give you is go to our tutorials and get the basics down. It is difficult to help you thru a process when you do not understand the reasoning.

You need to get some winemaking equipment, the equipment and the process you are using is not going to give you a very good wine.

Marshall said:
Yes, I plan to upgrade equipment in the future. There are hydrometers in the automotive and aquarium field. Will these work? Could you explain how to degas? Can I get potassium metabisulfate at a grocery store?

You can degas by stirring your wine until all the bubbles come out, repeating that process 5 or 6 times in a day and you'll be degassed. I dont believe any grocery stores carry potassium metabisulfate it's something you'll need to buy in a home brewing shop, or online. Buy a winemaking hydrometer.

Marshall said:
I used active dry yeast from the grocery store.

D: I agree with Julie, you should really get down the basics first then try making your wine, invest in lavlin ec-1118 yeast

Well hold on there Josh. Many yeasts will work just fine for winemaking (not only Lavlin EC-1118). Active Dry yeast is actually very common in making prison hooch type wines (such as cider). While it won't create a perfectly refined wine, it will create an alcoholic drink that you can enjoy.

Marshall, you did in fact make several rookie mistakes and I do think you should read up on proper winemaking. However, since you're 2 weeks in, lets work with what you have. First of all, you mentioned 8 x 12 oz cans of Welches Grape Juice, boiled in water with added 8lbs. of sugar. Were those cans of concentrate? How much water did you use? What was your total volume when you pitched the yeast? If you had 5 full gallons using only 8 cans of concentrate then your wine will be light on flavor and body. However, that can be somewhat rectified in your case by backsweetening when you are done using more concentrate. So all is not lost.

As for racking (transferring via siphon). You have been in the primary for 2 weeks so your wine is most likely done. Rack it off the sediment now. Where you put it now is up to you. Typically you would ferment most of the way in a bucket, then let it finish in a carboy under an air lock. However, if you're 2 weeks in, fermentation is most likely complete and it sounds like you probably don't have all the equipment to properly finish the process.

So, since this is really a hooch recipe anyway, I suggest siphoning it off of the sediment, backsweetening to taste now (using only more concentrate), then put it in 2 liters or 1 gallon jugs with lids, drink and enjoy! Then you can work on a more refined batch next time.

For welchs wine lavlin Ec-1118 works great, I've made wine out of red star dry yeast and it was disgusting, just my experience with yeast.

If the hydrometer is food grade and measures between .990 and 1.120 then it should be good.

Grocery stores? That depends where you live. Never seen any in an American grocery store, but I haven't really looked. Definitely available in SOME Canadian grocery stores.

Steve

First off, welcome.

Best of luck.

Marshal,
DO NOT use 1 tsp of potassium-metabisulfate in 5 gals of wine. That is way to much. Generally 1/4 tsp is good for 5-6 gals. As was mentioned earlier go to the tutorial section and start reading, and keep reading this forum. I have read numerous books on wine making but I have learned much more reading this forum. Good Luck and keep asking questions.
LOUMIK:b

Well hold on there Josh. Many yeasts will work just fine for winemaking (not only Lavlin EC-1118). Active Dry yeast is actually very common in making prison hooch type wines (such as cider). While it won't create a perfectly refined wine, it will create an alcoholic drink that you can enjoy.

Marshall, you did in fact make several rookie mistakes and I do think you should read up on proper winemaking. However, since you're 2 weeks in, lets work with what you have. First of all, you mentioned 8 x 12 oz cans of Welches Grape Juice, boiled in water with added 8lbs. of sugar. Were those cans of concentrate? How much water did you use? What was your total volume when you pitched the yeast? If you had 5 full gallons using only 8 cans of concentrate then your wine will be light on flavor and body. However, that can be somewhat rectified in your case by backsweetening when you are done using more concentrate. So all is not lost.

As for racking (transferring via siphon). You have been in the primary for 2 weeks so your wine is most likely done. Rack it off the sediment now. Where you put it now is up to you. Typically you would ferment most of the way in a bucket, then let it finish in a carboy under an air lock. However, if you're 2 weeks in, fermentation is most likely complete and it sounds like you probably don't have all the equipment to properly finish the process.

So, since this is really a hooch recipe anyway, I suggest siphoning it off of the sediment, backsweetening to taste now (using only more concentrate), then put it in 2 liters or 1 gallon jugs with lids, drink and enjoy! Then you can work on a more refined batch next time.
Yes it is concentrate, I boiled water and sugar, volume with added concentrate and sugar was back to original 5g volume when I added yeast. Do I back sweeten in original jug or in my new smaller jugs? Thanks for understanding it's not intended to be a refined wine at this point. I, personally, have tasted a jail hooch made from fruit and bread from a lunch tray. It was better than expected and kind of what I was going for. I'll improve equipment and process a little each time. Thank you.

If the hydrometer is food grade and measures between .990 and 1.120 then it should be good.

Grocery stores? That depends where you live. Never seen any in an American grocery store, but I haven't really looked. Definitely available in SOME Canadian grocery stores.

Steve
Love the cat!

Yes it is concentrate, I boiled water and sugar, volume with added concentrate and sugar was back to original 5g volume when I added yeast. Do I back sweeten in original jug or in my new smaller jugs? Thanks for understanding it's not intended to be a refined wine at this point. I, personally, have tasted a jail hooch made from fruit and bread from a lunch tray. It was better than expected and kind of what I was going for. I'll improve equipment and process a little each time. Thank you.

You would backsweeten after you have racked it (siphoned) off the sediment. Otherwise you'll just mix all the stuff at the bottom back in. This could be done in each of your new smaller jugs or in the primary (but only if you take the wine out, clean the primary, then put the wine back in for sweetening).

You would backsweeten after you have racked it (siphoned) off the sediment. Otherwise you'll just mix all the stuff at the bottom back in. This could be done in each of your new smaller jugs or in the primary (but only if you take the wine out, clean the primary, then put the wine back in for sweetening).
Thank You.

loumik said:
Marshal,
DO NOT use 1 tsp of potassium-metabisulfate in 5 gals of wine. That is way to much. Generally 1/4 tsp is good for 5-6 gals. As was mentioned earlier go to the tutorial section and start reading, and keep reading this forum. I have read numerous books on wine making but I have learned much more reading this forum. Good Luck and keep asking questions.
LOUMIK:b

Holy cow way miscalculation, I'm sorry. For some reason was thinking 1/4 tsp per gallon instead of per 5 I'm sorry!

Latest posts

Back