Newbie mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnew17

Reaction score
i normally make my muscadine wine using natural yeasts in the grapes. I had always made it with fresh grapes off the vines. I had a good bit leftover from last year so i froze them. I recently decides to start a few more batches using my same natural yeast recipe. Got to thinking about it and realized when i froze the grapes it probably killed any yeast in them. However i already have them crushed and have added sugar to them and have them in the large 5 gall water jugs i use. I started one batch 2 days ago and the other batch last night. I really dont want to scrap the grapes i have ised. Is there any way i could order the ingredients (yeasts, etc) off the interent have them shipped to me priority, and get them in these batches??? Need help asap.

Before I lost a batch I would throw some bread yeast (from your local grocery) and let it rip. I know plenty of old timers that use nothing but that and still manage to turn out a decent wine. Of course I hear the keyboards clicking and totally agree you get a better end result when you match your yeast to your fruit for the best result.

Go grab a few grape leaves, a small handful of unripe/ripe grapes and make a yeast starter from them. They should be coated with yeast.

The first batch is doing something judging from the balloon i keep over the lid. It was at about a 45 deg angle this morning. I still want to do something but i dont knownifbi have time to wait until the yeast comes in the mail

Latest posts

Back