New Year Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry your feeling down for a few days Chevy, I think the body "Gets" sick on purpose sometimes to tell us to slow down when we neglect to........ I wish it would find another way to talk to me though......

The "Family" says hi and get well........ well.......... most of the "Family" anyways......... A few came of "age" over the weekend and "sipped" away....... I told dem dat "decant" do dat............
smiley36.gif
............. OK...... I'll put a cork in it........
smiley36.gif

Sounds like the Chevy needs a tune up! Hope you feel better soon Chev.
Edited by: wade

Okay, here is my entry in whatever we end up doing for New Year's Wine -- this pic is just after innoculating a Mosti Mondiale "Grigionnay" -- Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay -- with the EC-1118 yeast!
smiley1.gif
Started today!

20080102_214652_IMG_2942_Small.JPG

Changed my mind!

Didn't get the que empty before Christmas so had the MM AJ Castel del
Papa on hand to start ON 1/1/08! Really wanted to start my OC Port but
the RJS instructions are confusing so waited to ask questions before
starting.

Hey Jack, I got that same kit for christmas but didn't start it yet either.

Maybe we can start a thread in a month or 2 and make it at the same time..... Gotta post pictures and notes!

jobe05 said:
Hey Jack, I got that same kit for christmas but didn't start it yet either.

Maybe we can start a thread in a month or 2 and make it at the same time..... Gotta post pictures and notes!

That could be fun and if we started a new thread would likely get a fermenter full of advice from this forum
smiley20.gif
!

So what is keeping you from starting right away? In my case, I have to
free a brew belt which will happen this weekend so I could begin as
early as Sunday night.

BTW we ARE talking about the Crew Select OC Port kit, right?

I have 3 fermentors going right now..... Although I have 4, I only have 3 - 6 gallon carboys.

The Chardonnay will need a couple of of months in one, the piesport about the same, and the Watermelon merlot should come out on about 30 days or so. Since the Watermelon Merlot has such a big F pack however, I may put that one in a 5 Gallon carboy and a gallon jug when it comes out, then I can start the OC Port. Also, because I started these on Tuesday...... I may not be racking till next weekend, I'll check them today.

I just re-read the direction for the OC Port and Re-read the "Makes 30 bottles" part again..... It makes 30 - 375ML bottles........ I just read 30 bottles. So this is a 3 gallon kit.

I have an empty 3 gallon carboy, so I can start whenever you are ready.

I am a bit under the weather right now though, so I'll wait for your lead. When I see te new "Orange Chocolate Port thread, I'll start also. Oh Yea, yes, mine is a RJ Spagnols kit as well.

Edited by: jobe05

All the Port kits are 3 gallon jobe! Just cause your used to making 2o gallons of port must have confused you!
smiley36.gif

I know its a week after New Year's Day, but I finally got around to starting my first wine of 2008. It is the Vinifera Noble Franc Suvignon wine, a delicious blend of Cab Franc and Cab Sauvignon. Due to my wife being sick since New Year's Day and the trip to the Hospital and her staying theree for a day, I got delayed, but all is well now-sorta.

Here is the kit- a new series of Mosti Mondiale George is carrying now. I think they will be a good inexpensive full wine. I know it won't be as full bodied as an all juice or like, but hey, it's VERY well put together. This one has 2- 30 packs of a medium toast oad and one pack of light toast oak. Mixed up to 23 liters it gave a full 1.092 SG reading at 70 deg. While not as powerful smelling as the all juice kits, it has a very pleasing smell and nice delicious flavor. Once made up I believe this one will be a keeper. I will also be interested to see if there is any hint of KT with this kit as compared to the WE less expensive kits.

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=2 ="maintable"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>Item Number</TD>
<TD>VN165</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Description</TD>
<TD>

Franc Sauvignon

Dark, rich and full bodied, only begin to describe this wonderful blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc.

Mosti Mondiale’s 10L Vinifera Noble is a unity between fresh musts and concentrate to preserve the properties of each varietal and enhance their natural characteristics. Wines produced with Mosti Mondiale’s 10L Vinifera Noble are characteristically warm,

Mosti Mondiale™ wines are made from only the finest 100% varietal grape juice and grape concentrates from among the world’s premier vineyards. Many kits include specially chosen toasted oak chips for barrel-aged character and increased depth.</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Current Price</TD>
<TD>$70.99</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Status</TD>
<TD>Stocked</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Order</TD>
<TD>Order</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Picture</TD>
<TD>
VN_lg.jpg
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Flavor</TD>
<TD>Franc Sauvignon</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Brand</TD>
<TD>Vinifera Noble</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Manufacturer's Description</TD>
<TD>Dark, rich and full bodied, only begin to describe this wonderful blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. A bouquet of blackcurrant and black cherry with a spicy undertone. A very generous wine with solid tannins and rich mellow oak, this combination will send your taste buds into a state of euphoria. Pairings: Well spiced game, grilled red meats, and strong cheeses (very old cheddar, Gorgonzola etc.) </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Sweetness</TD>
<TD>0</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>F-Pack</TD>
<TD>N</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Oak Type </TD>
<TD>Toasted </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Oak Intensity </TD>
<TD>3</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Minimum Recomended Aging </TD>
<TD>3 Months</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Wine Peaks At </TD>
<TD>1 year </TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

I will keep you all updated on this one. Sorry no pictures yet, but it is a beautifully assembled kit with all the normal ingredients we have come to expect with the Mosti kits.Edited by: appleman

The New Year Wine was started on the 6th and it smells incredible!!

Its a 6gal batch of cherry/whitegrape.Should be ready for secondary tomorrow! pics after the racking.

I still have a boat load to finish bottling and you people are starting to make,my next batch of wine coming in will be in march when the chilean juice arrives,then I'll do about 30 gallons of variety,may the Italian juice I'll do another 30 gallons and I,ll finish with the californians about another 30 gallons or so depending on what I need to have ageing also in september /oct/I get at least 24 gallons of new york state juice that will round out my year,so you can do the math by jan/feb,I need to bottle in a big way
smiley29.gif

Still a little hope the Meglioli gets here soon....or the first wine will be in February
smiley5.gif

We have had a crazy past month here in Chevyland!!! We did manage to rack the "new year" wine to secondary and now its settling out a bit before we rack again.

Mrs Chevy has been working on the Church Auction the past year and last night we attended it. Between working,buying,dinner and clean up we started at 4:30pm and didnt get home until 1 am!!! but it was for a good cause and its 2 years untilthe next one!!!!!

We've been house hunting the last several weeks and after being beat out on one offer we finally found another we liked so the Chevy's will have a new nest/winery location in mid march!!!!!!!

All new batches will need to wait until April. Between the Auction, workand house stuff Im ready to open "a few" bottles to lighten up the inventory!!
smiley14.gif

JUST got done bottling my pinot nior and sharza from cal. netted 120 bottles,still need to drive head on through the rest//
smiley14.gif

Today I started the first wine of the new year. It's a CC red mountain cab. It smells wonderful so far.

started my first wine for 2008 it is a coffee citrus wine. Found the recipt on Jack Kellers blog. Sure smells good and it just started.

Latest posts

Back