New Year Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyguy65

Reaction score
What will everyone start for there "New year "

It has to be your first started after the First of January and you must label it
"New year 2008"

Then possibly a category for Winefest 2008 and/or exchange among members here.? (approved by George of course)
smiley9.gif

It can be fruit or kit but it must be started after 01/01/08

Anyone in for it?

Ours will be a Zinfandel or a Shiraz

Edited by: chevyguy65

I have a few kits coming soon. I could try to wait until after the 1st for one of them I suppose. Maybe the Mosti Vinfera Vignoble - Franc Sauvignon. I know I will start the Mosti Renaissance Amarone with Raisins as soon as I get it because I want to try to make a couple Ports with it using the Amarone as a base.

I'd be in for that, sounds like fun.

Now what would be considered the "First", the first bottled, or the first that started fermenting after Jan 08?

Then Theres the swap............ Who gets who's wine?

Should we vote on who makes what wine then just pick? Once someone picks the wine, no one else can take that one?

I could make a French Chardonnay kit,
or a fresh fruit Muscadine, a Scuppernong or a Blueberry Port...................

I could do a good job of testing whatever all of you start..you know, just to help out friends...no charge at all for my services either.

My first one I think will be a Peach

Wow Waldo, with a deal like that I'll start one for sure!
smiley36.gif
Good to see a real team player here!

I have got some highbush cranberries in the freezer.

100_1296.jpg

After deer season closes in January. I will dig them out and see if I can make something drinkable out of them. I know they are not fit to eat off of the bush.
smiley11.gif
I tried them. Edited by: swillologist

My manderen tree will be ready to pick by 08. So that will be one,and my apple came out so good, that it will be my #2 wine for 08.

Ours would have to be a kit as nothing from fresh fruit or juice would be ready by even December. And since we're out of kits, you know what that means, girls and boys, the PWP must go shopping!
smiley36.gif
The princess hates going to the stores to shop, but she always has loads of fun at The Winemaker's Toy Store! Now, let's see...

The idea I had was ....the first batch that goes into primary would be your New Year wine. then we could exchange at Winefest 2008 or do an exchange via PM with who ever you wanted to. It would be for fun unless we could get FVW to do a category at WF 08 I thought we could use. frozen/fresh fruit,fruit base, kit or ?. It would only get about 8 or 9 months for aging but gives us another reason to start a new batch!!

I see! So this wouldn't necessarily need to be ready for drinking by that time. I'm in.

Iam in also, I have 2 1/2 gallons of blackberry juice I hope to start in Jan 2008. I plan on starting on Jan 1 , So we will see how its doin by winefest 08. I may need some help from Waldp the Blackberry man.I also have 4 gallons of Mustang grape juice i need to get started ferminting.

Harry

Chevyguy,

Fun idea!

I will be out of kits by year end but have the Meglioli amarone and a
CC Super Tuscan coming in January and one or both of those will be
started right away. But I am certain those will not be ready anytime in
"08. (None of my reds made this year are drinkable yet. Opened the
first WE Lodi Zin last night and it was not drinkable but did have
potential. Yeast pitched on that one 3/7. A WE Lodi Cab started 4/5 is
similar. Three whites are drinkable now.) So maybe I follow the PWP's
example and browse for a white this month. Bet George still has some....

Loved the pict of highbush cranberries, Swill. They are fairly common
in the wild here although not in great patches. Grouse love them and I
love grouse with them!

Thanks to George's Planned Shipment Program™, I'll be enjoying two kits delivered each month for the next four months. Conjunctively with the recent success of the carboy breeding program, the scheduled kits to start in January are Mosti AllJuice Montepulciano,JohannesburgRiesling,and Bourg Royal Rouge.

- Jim

Thanks Jack! The guy that had the place before us planted two bushes in the yard. The bird planted them down in the slough. We have a pretty good patch now. We will see if theywill make good wine. If not the birds will have more to eat.

You can count me in. I will havwe a couple of fruit wines to start. I was planning on a two and three gallon batch but could always increase to five gal . instead. Once the details are worked out let us know.

Hmmmm , January..Ill have theMeglioli Amarone, Orange Muscat Port, or Malvasia Bianca to pick from. At least thats all planned so far to start at the first of the year.

Ok .....we changed our mind.... the "New Year"wine will be a Cherry Grape blend 60/40. hopefully we can get the mead out of primary soon or we'll be buying a new bucket!

Hopefully I can get Lisa from Vincor(RJ Spagnols) to send a grape pack for my Super Tuscan kit since it was missing, so this can be my New Years wine.

Latest posts

Back