New Year Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would it mean if I started all 5 kits and 5 fresh fruit wines all on the same day? Jan 1! I'm not that ambitious........ but just in case I may start 2 kits at once.................

It would mean that you would have to ship all 60 bottles to my house!
smiley36.gif

Started 3 kits today...........

A French Chardonnay, Piesporter and a Watermelon Merlot.

20080101_104653_DSCF3001_resize.jpg

Here is the Watermelon Merlot

20080101_104836_DSCF3003_resize.jpg

Your probably asking what is so special about this one.......... well........ 2 things.... This is the wine that Wade turned me onto... it's very good. and it's being fermented (for the first time use) with this:

20080101_105045_DSCF3005_resize.jpg

Waldo's Bubbler......... Starting the first of the year with this item means a lot to me.

Then I have the wine I finished the year with. My wife and I spent yesterday morning Bottling the Scuppernong....... 74 bottles (750ML) and one 1.5 liter bottle........ this is Great Scuppernong....... again, it has a label to live up to.
20080101_105421_DSCF3013_resize.jpg

Then to finish my rack to put it up on.......... No matter how big a wine rack you make...... you fill it up.......

20080101_105611_DSCF3009_resize.jpg

20080101_105739_DSCF3010_resize.jpg

20080101_105838_DSCF3011_resize.jpg

This rack isn't finished yet, but it will be soon...........

The family room is a disaster......... I have to find another place to store my empty bottles. I have about 30 cases in my wine room, and another 74 cases out here............

20080101_110049_DSCF3014_resize.jpg

I'm thinking next summer when we go to NY of taking the truck since my father inlaw has an antique wood cooking stove he wants us to have ad I need to bring back, I'm thinking I may load up a bunch of these and stop over to Applemans house with a few dozen cases.

Edited by: jobe05

It's a Wine Expert (WE) Selection International kit.

I have made it before and liked it a lot.

I'm not done with them yet, I have some decorative (Carved) trim pieces that will be stained dark to cover the front slate that the bottles sit on, and then a wider piece that goes from the floor to ceiling to cover the screws, each cross section is inset into the uprights to give greater weight support. Very pleased with it so far. It's about 14 feet wide and 8 feet tall and will hold about 1400 to 1500 bottles when finished............ around the first of March..

Oh yea....... it's pine....... But I tried to select each board to look like it was better than pine. I feel good now that I know I must have done a good job...... it fooled the professional!

It looks like Red Oak with a golden oak stain on them in the picture!

You certainly have had a busy day today! The rack really does look great! You are getting a HUGE selection of wine going! Keep up the good work. Let me know when you are coming north so I can free up a little time to share with you! So which wine is your FIRST for the New Year?

The "FIRST" would have been the French Chardonnay.

I should have thought about that and dumped the 3 yeast all at once...........

I'll still let whoever draws my name to select the wine they want.

wade said:
It looks like Red Oak with a golden oak stain on them in the picture!

I went down and through up a couple of the risers and cross pieces to show you what I was talking about. It hides all the screws and seams and offers a nicer finish. I also like the vine type design in the trim.

20080101_141348_DSCF3001_resize.jpg

20080101_141444_DSCF3002_resize.jpg

20080101_141548_DSCF3004_resize.jpg

OH Yea Wade, I almost forgot to tell you..........

Thats all Blackberry Port on that top shelf..........................

20080101_141657_DSCF3003_resize.jpg

Great racks Jobe! So when you guys say that now matter how big the rack is you'll find a way to fill it, you're not joking. 1400 to 1500 bottles? Who am I kidding, with the inspiration from this forum I'll probably be there by the summer
smiley36.gif
! If I don't get thrown outta my house first.

It doesn't take long to fill a rack and get your inventory built up. Also......... this isn't the only rack I have............... I have 3 more, smaller than this.

I have only been doing this for a little more than 2 years now........ well...... I guess it'll be 3 years in March. I'm not into it or am as good at it as some here, but this is a hobby, not a race.

smiley32.gif
Nice job! And you started 3 wines today! We usually pace ourselves to 1 or 2 starts in a day...
smiley3.gif
Great job on the rack. It's funny how quickly things can overtake a house...

Jobe, Im pretty sure you have thought this out well looking at the racks, please tell me each rack length is screwed in a few spots or at least in the middle as thats a lot of wine you got their partner and if a top rack let go it would probably take the rest down on the way. I may have to redesign my room as it is almost exceeding the racks I built.
Edited by: wade

Yea, in 3 locations, on each cross board, screwed into concrete........... It aint moving at all! My only concern was the front boards, that they may give way over time. But the rack on the left (the fullest one) has been there for 2 years with no signs of sagging at all. I built it and kept that one shelf, then 2 then 3, but that one shelf was always full. Then I proceeded with the rest of it. It's a lot of wood, about $500 so far, I wanted to make sure it was going to last before I built the whole thing.

I think the best decision I made was at the beginning stages when I decided to inset the 1 x 3's into the 1 x 12 uprights.

Very Nice job,Jobe!!!

We have yet to start ours.I took my youngest out rabbit hunting on Sunday Morning and by night I felt pretty bad.Went to work on Monday and by the end of my shift I was down for the count.
smiley11.gif
Called in sick the last 2 days.. I bet my Sgt. and Lt,. are not too happy with me today! But, I cant do my job safely in this condition.

We picked up the grape to add to our cherry juice, so our "New Year Wine" will be a blend 60/40 Cherry to Grape. As soon as I kick this "cold"or whatever it is We'll get it started.

Happy New Year to the "Family"

Mr and Mrs Chevy
smiley10.gif

Latest posts

Back