New Winemaker on board ;)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are kits in the US that also make 1 gallon. Mosti Mondiale makes one called the Winemakers Toolbox which includes the juice, labels, corks, bottles, a collapsible fermenter which dbles as a carboy with airlock and everything, its has everything you need to make 5-6 bottles of wine! There are a few more that I believe come from NY and one of them comes in a plastic barrel. Anyways, welcome lewisericeric.

Add 1/8 tsp KMeta at the end of 3 months and let it sit another couple of weeks. You won't regret it.

Hi Xanxer - thanks for the tips that's really helpful. It's funny as I was reading about those drill mounted stirrers just the other day but havent' found anywhere yet that has them. Do they have a specific name at all?

What is KMeta though? Is it like Campden tablets and why would you use a steriliser actually IN the wine?

Is that to stop further fermentation in the end product?

Cheers!

Hi St Allie!

It wasn't myself that made the elderflower, it was stuart (aqua)

But he did mention the brand in an earlier reply as :

"It was a "Solomon Grundy" kit. Only about £8.50 GBP. You need to buy the sugar on top of that, but even so, it's still very cheap and the results are great. I'll be making some more! "

Not sure if you'd be able to get it from New Zealand though but I'm sure that'll give you a head start!

Speak soon,
Lewis

....those drill mounted stirrers just the other day but havent' found anywhere yet that has them. Do they have a specific name at all?
Cheers!

Hi Lewis. "Youngs" make the drill mounted stirrer\degasser. I have one myself and they are readily available in the UK. I just got my local brew shop to get one in. They are about £18. Fantastic bit of kit. Takes all the pain out of de-gassing.
This is the one I use:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wine-Degasser-23-L-/180562238533?pt=Home_Brew&hash=item2a0a591c45
But there are others available such as:
http://www.homebrewcentre.co.uk/product.asp?pID=423&cID=125

Hi Stuart

Brilliant thanks for that! I think it's something I'm definately going to have to get and £15 isn't that much.

How long would you stir it for on an electric drill? 2 or 3 minutes twice a day for say 3 or 4 days?

Or is there no definate timeframe as each wine etc is different?

Hi Xanxer - thanks for the tips that's really helpful. It's funny as I was reading about those drill mounted stirrers just the other day but havent' found anywhere yet that has them. Do they have a specific name at all?

What is KMeta though? Is it like Campden tablets and why would you use a steriliser actually IN the wine?

Is that to stop further fermentation in the end product?

Cheers!

Mix-Stir is a brand name i believe. Technically, it is a drill-mounted de-gassing rod.

You use "steriliser" in the new must to prevent any wild yeasts from taking over. Wild, or more specifically un-wanted, yeast are in the air and can start "spontaneous fermentation", which can produce off flavors. Better to "sterilise" with something, wait for it to dissipate (12-24 hours) then add a yeast which will produce favorable, more predictable, results.

Lewis, you've hit the nail on the head. De-gassing will vary brew to brew. Personally I have found vigorous de-gassing several times over 24 hours is sufficient. I then just leave the wine to bulk-age and let nature do the rest. On smoe more stubborn wines I have had to de-gas over 3-4 days, but that is rare.

Cheers guys.

Well the kits aren't here yet, but should be in the next day or two, and we'll be starting this weekend! Keep your fingers crossed for me and I'll be letting you know how it goes!
x

Good luck! Just follow the instructions that come with the kit and golden rule make sure everything is 100% sterilised and you will be fine. I've done quite a few of the Beaverdale kits so just ask if any questions.

Latest posts

Back