New to Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNMDesign

Reaction score
Happy New Year to all fellow Vino’s

Wife is the big wine drinker of the family. In her infinite wisdom, she gave me a wine making kit for Christmas. Reminds me when Homer Simpson gave his wife a bowling ball for her birthday and it had his initials on it. Started the first batch a week ago.

Looking forward to our first wine tasting party.

Do I have to use new wine bottles or can I use old ones from the store?

What is better, plastic corks or real corks. I have a feeling the wine will not be laying around very long if you know what I mean.

Craig N Missy

First, welcome. Yes you can reuse bottles. You can put it in mason jars if you like (not recomnended BTW). I use cork corks. Enjoy,and be careful those carboys seem to multiply if you get them wet.

Welcome to the forum. I think that you will find this is one great obsession you've started.

You can use old bottles, but you must make sure that they are clean. If you have a 5 gallon kit, then you only need about 2 cases (24) bottles. New one will cost around $20 but will save you the trouble of soaking and scraping off labels. If at all possible, get 750ml bottles and STAY AWAY FROM SCREW CAP BOTTLES.

I use 100% natural cork. I find that the synthetic corks are rather difficult to remove.

Hi Craig N Missy! How close are you to Lowellville, OH? There are a handful of us who meet up there in the spring and fall, pick up juice buckets, have lunch, taste each others wines and sometimes have a tailgate party in the parking lot.

Welcome to winemakingtalk

Welcome Craig & Missy! Craig you're a great hubby & Missy you're a smart woman getting him the wine making kit!
;-) What kind of kit did you choose? Welcome!

Welcome... we both started at the same time I see.
You could check you local craigslist, I have seen people selling wine bottles (new) much cheaper than in store.

Welcome. I've probably bought more bottles than I've recycled, but... the recycled bottles are sturdier and it sure is nice to have extras around. That's where I really appreciate the donated jugs.

BC

Winexpert

Welcome Craig & Missy! Craig you're a great hubby & Missy you're a smart woman getting him the wine making kit!
;-) What kind of kit did you choose? Welcome!

Winexpert. She works a pharmacy that sells all the bells and whistles. It makes it a lot easier just starting out. I think I will get into making root beer and other soda pops as well.

Hi Craig N Missy! How close are you to Lowellville, OH? There are a handful of us who meet up there in the spring and fall, pick up juice buckets, have lunch, taste each others wines and sometimes have a tailgate party in the parking lot.

Welcome to winemakingtalk

Hi Julie

Thanks for the invitation. We like taking road trips like that. We live just south of Zanesville about 3hrs from you. My dad is from Struthers. My grandparents built a house on lake Hamilton. Maybe we will pay a visit to my Aunt and Uncle this summer and stop over.

Thanks
CNM

Back