New to wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started a little backwards, interested first in buying a small vineyard, then after looking at several and speaking with owners, decided the best path was to first learn how to make wine. This is humbling so far, I'm only starting my third batch and it's clear that "you don't realize what you don't know". Looking forward to the journey, reading threads of experienced winemakers and receiving input. Here we go!

Welcome to WMT, the forums posts are a good read

The first question has to be what do you like? There is wine and there is wine. Fruit wines and white grapes are harder to make since they don’t have natural antioxidants. Reds are easier and were favored 300 years ago when we didn’t have as much technology.

Having a small collection of grapes, I observe grapes are work and its a lot easier to buy a frozen bucket at the Vinters club, , , maybe cheaper than the insecticid/ fungicide/ sprayer/ posts and wire, , , , but this was a retirement project.

Welcome to WMT, the forums posts are a good read

The first question has to be what do you like? There is wine and there is wine. Fruit wines and white grapes are harder to make since they don’t have natural antioxidants. Reds are easier and were favored 300 years ago when we didn’t have as much technology.

Having a small collection of grapes, I observe grapes are work and its a lot easier to buy a frozen bucket at the Vinters club, , , maybe cheaper than the insecticid/ fungicide/ sprayer/ posts and wire, , , , but this was a retirement project.
I'm generally a bordeaux blend kinda guy, but more specifically, love somewhat big California merlot and cabernet sauvignon blends. Pinot is also on my list, but unlike Burgundian purists (nothing wrong with that) I prefer mine bigger. Small winery in Paso, Chateau Margene, buys SLH pinot and produces a very clean, crisp Pinot that he calls "cab lovers Pinot"..

Hope to someday have my own vineyard, but learning this side first is important because it will inform me about the clone types to use and how to farm to achieve target pH, TA, YAH & BRIX. I've owned a packaging business for 35 years, so I need something other than golf to stay busy and out of my wife's hair ;-)

Latest posts

Back