New to the boards/wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodiac

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,

After reading many books, forums, and dreaming about making my own wine, I'm finally doing it. Yesterday was day 1 of primary fermentation and it is already starting to smell like that wonderful yeast smell. I've setup shop in my cellar due to the temperature being stable although since I'm in PA - had to add some minor heat to keep the temp above 60 in that area. Sure I'll have many questions, but I see there is plenty of users here posts to keep me busy.

wine-day-1.jpg

Welcome to the forum and also to the obsession!

What type of wine are you making first?

Buy yourself a Brew Belt to put around the fermenter, so you won't necessarily have to heat the whole cellar. It will keep it warm until fermentation gets going well enough to generate enough heat of its own. Once fermentation slows, reapply the brew belt.

Have fun and in case you don't have much, learn patience.

Welcom Kodiac to the fun. Please 'bear' with us as some of the members can be a bit scary at times. Good luck witht the first batch.

Hey, Kodiac. Welcome to the forum. Where are you from in PA? What "flavor" is that you are making? Also, what is the material on your floor in the basement? Looks like marble.

Thanks for the welcome from all - much appreciated. I looked at the Brew Belt and the details are that it keeps the primary fermentation between 75-80F. Isn't 80F a little too warm? Is it adjustable?

@Rocky - wish I had marble flooring - it is an older home with slate basement and concrete flooring. However, we do have plans to make it a nice wine bar / wine cellar area.

I'm trying a blackberry merlot at this time. Can't wait to taste. :)

Last edited:
Day 2 - looks pretty active. Temp is 71. SG to be measured this evening which makes it officially 48 hours.

20130115_081633.jpg

Welcome and enjoy. Looks good. Be warned this hobby is very addictive. It could become very costly, as you will want to purchase all the odds and ends to make wine making quicker. I remember my first batch. ;)

Welcome and enjoy. Looks good. Be warned this hobby is very addictive. It could become very costly, as you will want to purchase all the odds and ends to make wine making quicker. I remember my first batch. ;)

Funny you say that. I'm already asking what to make next, buy more carboys, and the famous wine pump. I've about 7 cases of empty wine bottles to fill and patience is all I have to give it at this point.

Day 3 - looking great. A lot clearer than yesterday, no more film on top, just bubbles from the yeast doing the work. SG now just below 1.030 and temp at 71F.

Wine - Day 3.jpg

Back