New members

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winedmannion

Junior
Reaction score
I’m a new member. I make a variety of wines. About 20 gallons per month. I’m sure I’ll learn from winemaking talk.
thank you.

Yes I’m aging my wines in the carboys and I use nitrogen to push wine out of my carboy when I want to use it.

Welcome! Are you a winery? That much volume would exceed the limits of some states, lol.
I was told that you can make as much as you want if it’s for private consumption.
If you give the wine away is that private consumption?

I was told that you can make as much as you want if it’s for private consumption.
If you give the wine away is that private consumption?

In the United States, you were told incorrectly. 200 gallons is the max that can be made. States can put a lower limit on it (Alabama, I believe has a much lower limit)

In the United States, you were told incorrectly. 200 gallons is the max that can be made. States can put a lower limit on it (Alabama, I believe has a much lower limit)
What will happen? Can they come and arrest me? How will they find out that I’m making that much? I was told by one of my suppliers.

The 200 gallon limit is for two adults in a household. One person household is limited to 100 gallons. It doesn't matter how much you give away.

No one will come to arrest you but you might slow up a bit. It is nice to stay within the law.

The 200 gallon limit is for two adults in a household. One person household is limited to 100 gallons. It doesn't matter how much you give away.

No one will come to arrest you but you might slow up a bit. It is nice to stay within the law.
Thanks for that clarification.

I’m sorry if I created a firestorm. :i

I thought it might have been a typo or some other misunderstanding. So the bigger, more interesting questions is, how do you do 20 gallons a month? All kits?

What will happen? Can they come and arrest me? How will they find out that I’m making that much? I was told by one of my suppliers.

Yes, they can come arrest you. Fine is (and this is an I belive) $10,000 per offense. Every state has ATF Agents. Missouri has two for the entire state. Odds are nothing happens, but for me it isn't worth the worry.

I’m sorry if I created a firestorm. :i

I thought it might have been a typo or some other misunderstanding. So the bigger, more interesting questions is, how do you do 20 gallons a month? All kits?
Ohio Bob you probably know Label Peelers near you if you’re in Ohio.
yes I’ve done many kits with and without skins also frozen must and mead.
also did some excellent plumb wine from scratch.
I give a lot away to non profits and friends.
I use nitrogen on my carboys.

Attachments

• 2F2A17F5-C811-47CA-8C7F-5D6EF26CEF27.jpeg
    2F2A17F5-C811-47CA-8C7F-5D6EF26CEF27.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
Back