New Member - Vermont

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newbie here - one harvest down and working on the 2nd! Too much rain, struggling with black rot -
hoping for some wine!
Anybody have any advice on working with 'tainted' grapes - I have picked of the ones with the rot and as they are now beginning to turn, am planning on making wine with the others -
please advise - Shep

Welcome to WMT

Black Rot; my answer was to pick through to use the ones which were fat enough to yield juice and run them “normal”. With thirty mixed plants that meant I made vineyard run red and white. I am still alive after ten years so I assume they weren’t toxic.
Someone in the vinters club clued me in to that was a disease and that Mancozeb works to control it. This year got two sprays (a drought) and last year three mixed in with sulfur, captan, boudeaux mixture ,,, . Grapes up north are work.

I have looked at how disease prone hybrids are and am moving toward apples (there is as much interesting genetic variation / flavor choices as grape has) and selected older / more foxy varieties as Briana. ,,, Cyser and bouchet are interesting ferments.

Good luck on next year’s crop.

thanks so much for your response. Mancozeb does work but our profuse rains in VT undid its magic -
good luck with apples

Welcome to WMT

Black Rot; my answer was to pick through to use the ones which were fat enough to yield juice and run them “normal”. With thirty mixed plants that meant I made vineyard run red and white. I am still alive after ten years so I assume they weren’t toxic.
Someone in the vinters club clued me in to that was a disease and that Mancozeb works to control it. This year got two sprays (a drought) and last year three mixed in with sulfur, captan, boudeaux mixture ,,, . Grapes up north are work.

I have looked at how disease prone hybrids are and am moving toward apples (there is as much interesting genetic variation / flavor choices as grape has) and selected older / more foxy varieties as Briana. ,,, Cyser and bouchet are interesting ferments.

Good luck on next year’s crop.

thanks so much - what is stylet oil? like Neem oil? hope this is not a dumb question....
Not a dumb question at all! It’s usually far better to ask beforehand than afterwards. A local vineyard owner where I’ve spent some time has used this combination for many years.

From the JMS Website, Stylet oil is a technical grade mineral oil that works as a fungicide, insecticide and miticide. It helps to prevent virus vectors and is environmentally safe. Somewhere on WMT there was a discussion about grades (technical, food, lab, etc…) and I don’t remember where ‘technical’ landed in relation to ‘food’ but the company indicates it is a food grade quality.

Not a dumb question at all! It’s usually far better to ask beforehand than afterwards. A local vineyard owner where I’ve spent some time has used this combination for many years.

From the JMS Website, Stylet oil is a technical grade mineral oil that works as a fungicide, insecticide and miticide. It helps to prevent virus vectors and is environmentally safe. Somewhere on WMT there was a discussion about grades (technical, food, lab, etc…) and I don’t remember where ‘technical’ landed in relation to ‘food’ but the company indicates it is a food grade quality.
taking notes - very grateful for that information!

Latest posts

Back