New Maker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy2Tones

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone.I am the new kid on the block in here. Nice to meet you all. I am also new at winemaking but eager to learn and develop some skills.

I bought some basic equipment and have 3 carboys so far. I have 2 kits aging (the first one is a very basic Heron Bay Cab and the second is a CC Chilean Merlot with the skins). For the first two kits I've made I thought the best course of action would be to simply follow the directions and just use the chemicals they provide. My first kit has been bulk aging for about a month so far and the second just started about a week ago.

I know you've all probably answered the newby questions a million times but... if a couple of you don't mind offering some advice for a guy with just the basic equipment. What chemicals etc.... should I consider from this point on. Any advice on how long to allow the wine to age etc.... I really appreciate any feedback folks.

Also, I've already realized that purchasing the higher end kits is definitely the way to go. I'm almost ready to purchase two more kits/carboys. I'd really like to try something heavier with big body. I've been thinking about a shiraz or carmenere. For someone of my ilk what do you think? Any thoughtsanyone might feel like sharing is appreciated.

your in a great place...ask anything because it will teach you and a hundred others who want to know the same thing...and trust the people at FVW....solid people and source for knowledge andgrowth in your new endeavor

The kits provide everything you need, although a little experimentation, once you are comfortable with the standard procedures, is always interesting to the rest of us. Other than adding (or withholding) oak, I have only added some fresh fruit (e.g., green apple) to a couple kits as my "experiments."

Either Shiraz or Carmenere would make very good red wines - not many folks are familiar with Carmenere, but if you like it, go for it. I have a couple bottles left of a Carmenere I made in 2008, not bad at all. There are no kits I know or have heard of that NOT recommended; it's simply a matter of preference and pricing whether you get the "bigger" kits or not. The smaller kits are not "bad," you just get what you pay for.

Welcome to the forum. May the yeast be with you.

When making kits, they include the chems you need. It doesn't hurt to keep extra potassium metabisulfite or Campdens. If you do your own fruit wines, thenyou can get other chemicals such as pectic enzymes, potassium sorbate and again potassium metabisulfites. There are more, but don't buy until you need them as they can go stale.

Welcome to the forums and your new hobby /obsession!
smiley32.gif

Just in case you didn't know, if you do bulk age for any length of time you need to add 1/4 tsp of K-Meta every 90 days as your sulfite levels will drop over time. With that said it makes sense to bulk age in 90 day increments so you can top off with a fresh dose and bottle.

Only advise is to don't try and rush your wine. It will take 6-12 months minimum before it is ready. Start buying commercial wine big time so you won't be tempted to drink your own until its time. Save your bottles so you can reuse and help out the environment.

Lastly don't top off with water but with a similar or like wine. That way your wine won't taste thin.
smiley20.gif

If you make a wine from scratch ( fruit /country wine ) you will also need yeast nutrient and sometimes yeast energizer. Also some acid blend

BOB

Tommy, welcome to the Forum. This is a great place to learn and have fun. Enjoy the Process~
smiley36.gif

Welcome to the forum. I fully concur with the other comments that the makers of the kits include all the additives that you need for their kit. The only exception, until you start making wines from scratch, might be some extra potassium metabisulfite (K-meta) on hand if you plan to bulk age longer than 3 months.

In terms of "big reds", my personal vote would be for an Amarone. Cellar Craft, RJ Spagnols, and Mosti Mondiale all have kits at a variety of price levels. That's not to say that your suggestions (shiraz and carmenere) are not also good. The world's open in this hobby. The only restrictions are your time and money.

Thank you all so much. Everyone seems so friendly and helpful in here. I really appreciate that, it's quite unlike some other forum sites I'm used to. You all seem like a wealth of information and so willing to help. Thanks again for the very hospitable welcome!

Joan said:
Welcome, Tommy!

I have this Shiraz in the bottle and it's wonderful... it's chewy, beefy, and delish. It's gotten rave reviews from friends.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDet.asp?PartNumber=AJME033

I love the suggestion. Exactly what I am thinking of. Would it be too much to ask that if I go that direction if there are any pointers or should I pretty much just follow the directions?
smiley9.gif

Welcome TommyT, The only recommendation for that kit that I can think of is to let it age well and dont drink it before its time. Just because these are kits dont be fooled and think they are early drinkers. Some may take up to 3 years to really shine and they will SHINE! By the way, unlike other forums we are here to help you and not knock you down because you dont know the answer. The only dumb question is the one not asked!

wade said:
Welcome TommyT, The only recommendation for that kit that I can think of is to let it age well and dont drink it before its time. Just because these are kits dont be fooled and think they are early drinkers. Some may take up to 3 years to really shine and they will SHINE! By the way, unlike other forums we are here to help you and not knock you down because you dont know the answer. The only dumb question is the one not asked!
[/QUOTE

Thanks a lot Wade.My approach has been to produce 3-4 (maybe 5-6) batches before I get too excited about dipping in too much. It's nerve wracking though because I'm not 100% sure of what I'm doing and I want to make sure that I'm making some decent juice. My cousin lives in the Temecula area in CA and makes wine from his own grapes (grown in his back yard) and his wine is excellant. I've never had a "kit" wine though. I'm sure it's great but still....Patience is the work, I mean word. HAHA..thanks again Wade.

Where are you from Tommy? If you were around me I would feel inclined to have you over to sample some of the wines you could easily make from a kit and also many from fresh fruit or even the Vintners Harvest fruit wine bases which are also very good.

Tommy, Wade is spot on!! Ask those questions because we all have been there!! And even the seasoned wine makers ask the occasional question also. (I am not a seasoned wine woman yet!! haha)

Follow the directions, get some age on the wine and you will be amazed (and proud) of how good some of these wines turn out.
smiley4.gif

wade said:
Where are you from Tommy? If you were around me I would feel inclined to have you over to sample some of the wines you could easily make from a kit and also many from fresh fruit or even the Vintners Harvest fruit wine bases which are also very good.

Why thanks Wade. I live in the Des Moines, IA area. That's probably a long shot but the offer is truly appreciated.

Tommy2Tones said:
Joan said:
Welcome, Tommy!

I have this Shiraz in the bottle and it's wonderful... it's chewy, beefy, and delish. It's gotten rave reviews from friends.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDet.asp?PartNumber=AJME033</span>

I love the suggestion. Exactly what I am thinking of. Would it be too much to ask that if I go that direction if there are any pointers or should I pretty much just follow the directions?
smiley9.gif

Wade is right about the aging thing. I just followed the directions on mine. The kit easily stands on it's own merit.

PS I'm not sure "beefy" and "chewy" are actual wine descriptors but it's what came to my mind when I tasted it. =)

Latest posts

Back