New here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandst

Reaction score
Hi all.

My name is Steve from Northwest Florida and I'm a new wine maker. Just got my first wine kit with the premier equipment kit this past weekend. I got the Selection Estate Oregon Yamhill County Pinot Noir and got it all together in the primary on Sunday. I have to say that I am normally a patient person but I REALLY can't wait for this to be ready to rack then bottle then drink. I am already trying to decide what kit to make next, will have to be a quicker kit as I know the Pinot will not be truly ready to drink for at least 6 months and I want one NOW.

I do have one question that I could not find an answer to on the forum. When I pitched the yeast on Sunday the temp of the must was 75, checked yesterday and it was up to 78 today was at 80, the ambient in the house is 72. Should I look at ways to bring the temp in the must down or is it alright for it to have jumped up?

Steve

Welcome Steve,

The ambient temp of 72 is perfect and the reason for the increase of temp in the batch is due to the fact that the fermentation is exothermic and it creates it's own heat. The temp will drop again as the fermentation slows in a few days.

Everything is normal and glad to have you part of the FVW family!

Welcome, Steve

I'm new as well, and had the opposite problem -- must temperature was too low, and am using a heating pad to keep the temp up -- the difference between Montana and Florida! You'll find lots of people with answers -- its a great group and their collective knowledge is a great resource...don't hesitate to ask questions!

Hi Steve,

You'll find everyone here very helpful. Lots of fun people here too, you'll make fast friends............Welcome!!!

Ramona

Welcome, Steve

I'm a newbie too. There are so many great people on this forum they have already answered several of my questions.

Being from Montana I have had to worry about the cold. I just started my first batch on Sunday (a Slection Merlot). I'm not a patient person, I can't wait to get it racked to the carboy so I can at least see what it is doing.

Hi Steve, and welcome.

Since you do live in a "hot" locale, you will undoubtedly encounter times
when you do have to worry about the heat as you tend some of your wines. I
understand from other southerners that one way to effectively lower must
temps is to put your fermenter in a tub of water, drape several towels
around the pail or carboy and let them hang in the water to stay wet. To
enhance the effect you can turn a fan on them to speed evaporative cooling.
A good, cheap answer. We northerners get to contend with running up the
electric bill using heating belts and pads to try to do just the opposite of
what you have to do! It all makes for an interesting pasttime.

Bill

Welcome Steve,

Take advantage of the great fruit produced in FL! Have fun don't be afraid to ask questions. This bunch of folks are very gifted in this wonderful hobby.

Welcome Steve, I'm new also. I've only done one kit-fairly successful. Great taste, but somewhat thick on the bottom. I "followed" all the directions-I thought. Oh well. Details, details; they're there for a reason.

Welcome Steve. I live somewhat in your area of the world in Southeast Louisiana and it is the same here in regards to temperature fluctuations and I have no problems ever.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back