New guy - Need some info, please.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbobTX

Junior
Reaction score
Howdy, all!I used the search, couldn't find what I figured was an FAQ, so here I am.
This is my first attempt at beer making, and I started off with an Irish Red. I filled the fermenter around noonish on Saturday, and by Sunday morning, the airlock was bubbling merrily along. This morning, however, that activity has slowed WAY down.
So the question: how long should I expect vigorous bubbling to continue? I'm assuming different beers have different fermenting characteristics, so I just don't know what to expect.
Thanks in advance!
jr

I have done a few beer kits and most have heavy fermentation in the first three or four days, than slows down and I put it in a carboy to finish.....My question to you is what temp. do you have on your beer now....cool temp. will slow it way down or even bring it to a stop.....The other thing did you stir your beer really good as the boil will take out the O2 out of the water, which the yeast needs at this point..

Thanks for the reply!
I have it in my pantry, and the temp in the house is never below 66. Yes, I aerated pretty thoroughly, pouring back and forth, then using a sterile whisk to get some air in there. I used a dry yeast (Muntons), just sprinkled on the top.
Maybe I should take it out of the pantry, move it to a warmer room?

Can you check the beer temp., it maybe a bit lower than that...I like to ferment with a temp. about 70 to 72... hope this helps...Good luck

I suspect it's closer to 66 degrees than 70, and I doubt 72. Can't hurt to raise the temp a couple of degrees...

I just checked an instruction sheet for a Brewer's Best Red Ale that I have done...It said 64 to 72 for fermentation.... I guess I like to be in the higher end, just to keep things going and get a clean fermentation....but that's what works for me...when it gets cool I have even put a brew belt on the fermentor to keep the temp up there..

Okay, checked this morning, still looks like the fermenting is stalled out. Now what? Take a hydrometer reading, transfer to secondary and watch, or what?
Sorry for the newbie questions. I'm buying a book today.
smiley23.gif

Take a hydrometer reading would be the first step....I would get more yeast in case you need to restart you fermentation...if you need to restart, do a yeast starter to get your yeast going before you add it to your beer...keep us posted on what is happening..

Its probably done, ber has a very low starting sg as you dont want a bunch of alc as it will over power the beverage. Remember that beer is like 95% water you dont want it high in abv and you also dont want it super dry and thats why we add adjuncts that wont ferment out. Im willing to bet its right where it needs to. With beer I dont rack it, I let it sit in bucket with lid snapped and airlock on for 2 weeks after fermentation and then bottle. If youve had it open a lot )the lid after fermentation stopped) then you might want to rack it to carboy as youve exhausted your C02 gas blanket that would have protected your beer from oxidizing. Beer is an add yeast and as long as it starts fermenting close it and lock it and leave it. There is a rule of thumb though that you can follow, its called 1-2-3. 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in carboy, 3 weeks in bottles and then its usually ready for drinking unless its a big beer like a stout or better and then it needs more time like a bigger wine needs more time. You really dont need to go sticking your hydro in there, beer ferments very easily so like I said if it started I can almost guaranty it did what it needed to do. Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back