New Cranberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I steam-juiced 19 1/2 lb. fresh cranberries and placed the juice and pulp in a primary in a straining bag. I added 7 teaspoons each pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient plus 6 ripe bananas (peeled; mashed) and 30 oz. white raisins (minced) plus water to 6 gallons and let this sit for 24 hours. I added sugar to an SG of 1.092 and pitched the yeast (Montrachet) this morning. It was bubbling away within minutes. The must tastes awesome.

I plan to squeeze the raisins daily and stir the must. I also plan to ferment to SG 1.0 and squeeze and remove the pulp and raisins. I will then rack to secondary and top up to 6 gallons.

By the way, I got the cranberries for $.50 a bag!

That sounds tasty smokegrub. I think I would rack at a higher SG of about 1.010 or so. If you go way down to 1.0, you may force it to stall before finish, which wouldn't allow for much C02 cap to form and protect it.

Good catch, appleman. That was a typo. I intended to type 1.01, but I had a senior moment.

Latest posts

Back