Mosti Mondiale New AJ Masters Old Vine Cab w/Grape pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary,
Your wife and mine would get along just fine. I finally have a hobby that she likes and is willing to "participate" (as the primary taster). I was into classic cars and she could never see why someone would like to drive a 1933 car rather than a 2010 model. I like camping and the outdoors and her idea of the wild outdoors is a Marriott with the window cracked open about an inch. Lord knows my life has been no bed of roses!
smiley36.gif

You mean after adding in the little flavour reserve pack? Nope, didn't cross my mind. I spose next time I open a bottle I could stick the Hygrometer in it! Its just barely sweetened, not overly sweet by any means.

Flem said:
Mike, did you check the SG on this at bottling time.  Curious.  Thanks!

Like yours Rocky, my wife is the primary taster but she refuses to taste any until I have put the clearing ageants in and the wine looks like wine. She looks at some of the stuff I put in like the bentonite and says no way am I drinking that. I try and explain to her what it is for and she says nothing hits her lips till it looks like it supposed to. I finally got my shipment from George so tomorrow I will start the Meg Amarone and get it going then I hope to get a white going. Looks like maybe a riesling or maybe a gewurtz(whatever). I have a credit at a local homebrew beer store that dabs a little in wine so I will see if they can get me a good white. They deal with WE and RJ primarily. Have fun and happy fermenting.

I have never made one of the Meglioli kits. I know they are pricey and I plan to try one soon. I just racked a Super Tuscan today, will start a Cabernet Sauvignon probably tomorrow and then a blend of Zinfandel and Muscat in the near future. The Cab arrived today andthe Zin will tomorrow (I have a can of Muscat concentrate). This Zin-Muscat blend is like what we used to make at home from grapes when I was much younger.

YES they are pricey and the shipping costs kill me. I can not find a local shop that deals in Mosti kits. They carry the cheaper RJ and WE kits. I did not mean that they are a cheaper brand just the lower end of the kits. I am trying to get them to order me a Cru Select Gewurztraminer but we will see. It seems most of the time I can order from George and pay shipping cheaper than the locaL guys. I do get my bottles from them tho along with other supplies to support them.

Gary,
Any updates on this Masters AJ Cab? Noticed it is on sale this month so am tempted to purchase. Just wondering what you or others think of this kit compared to others such as the CC Red Mountain cab or the EP Delu Ranch cab.

Of the 3, I have only made the Red Mountain Cab. It is delicious at 1 year. Of the 20 or so kits I have made more than a year ago, it is neck and neck with the CC Showcase Amarone as my favorite. I made another Masters AJ, the Valle de Sol. It was not close at all to drinkability at 15 months. That's the last tasting notes I have, but I seem to remember trying it last month and it was starting to come around. That would be at 18 months.

I have made the Delu Ranch Cab. Made it May a year ago. Sold stabilized it and got some crystals, so I would recommend doing it.

I added some extra oak; before I knew it, it was a little over oaked, so be careful and taste regularly for oak, if you add any extra.

I added some Tan Cor Grand Cru to "thicken" it up a little.

At one year, the wine is an excellent cab for a kit wine.

Just got back from a 17 day motorcycle trip to the great north east. Rode from S.E. Georgia all the way to Portland, ME. Wife rode her bike and I talked the 14 year old into going by telling him it would be like the movie National Treasure. It is the only way to see the north east. I will say that you could spend days alone in some of the cities like New York and Washington D.C. Now that I am back I find the air conditioner broke. I am really hoping the carboys are all ok. Not sure how to tell except for tasteing. I think I will be bottling the cab this weekend or early next week. I will post how this one is then.

Back