WineXpert Nero D'Avola - Suggestions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahunaJR

Reaction score
I got a WineExpert Selection International Nero D'Avola kit this week. I am interested in what's been done or any suggestions. e. g. Oak chips? Or do I just follow the directions to the letter? What you think?

Joe

If you have the one with grape pack you are in for a treat. It's dark and rich with good fruit. I have and do add either Hungarian oak cubes or French oak spirals.

Great to hear you had such good luck with your kit. Just what I am looking for. Did you add the oak in primary? How much? How long did you leave them?

Thought I should ask since it would be my first time using oak! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Joe

I add untoasted American oak dust in primary until racking. I use Hungarian oak cubes in secondary and French Spirals when aging. I will check my notes tonight to see what exactly I used for the WE Nd'A.

Tony, fantastic! I am really anxious to try and tweak this kit. I have researched how good this wine is and am excited to try to improving it even more!

Joe

Okay so I used all provided oak as instructed plus one ounce of untoasted American dust in primary. Plus one medium toast American oak spiral while clearing. I also added two half spent (from a previous batch) medium toast French oak spirals for three months of bulk aging. I used Superclear instead of the provided clearing agent, not sure why I did that but thats what my notes say. SG started at only 1.090 but went to .994. It is crazy delicious and I entered it in Winemakers Amature Competition so we,ll see if others like it as well.

Last edited:
Great information! I think I will use your formula.

Just opened the package and have a bit of a problem. The bag with all of the yeast, and other ingredients leaked so it looks like most of that stuff is ruined. Must have happened during shipping. I think I am able to salvage the straining bag and oak envelopes. Quite a mess!

Looks like I'll have to contact the mail order place to see if they can replace. Or, at worst, contact Winexpert.

Once that happens, I'm ready to get started!!!! Thanks again for all of the info/personal experience.

Joe

Remember, your mileage may vary! What leaked? I assume the clearing agents? You'll need new clearing agents, yeast, energizer or nutrient, K-meta and K-sorbate. If the oak got wet I and if it was clearing agents that leaked I would not use the oak either. The vendor may/should just replace the entire kit IMHO.

I called the vendor and they said I would get quicker response contacting Winexpert (Canada) directly. I did and the are replacing all that was in the bag. Has to come from Ohio so they said it would be late next week - hopefully.

I believe the fining agent is what leaked. Everything was contained within the big plastic bag or I would have asked for a full kit replacement.

This will give me some time to purchase some oak spirals/dust.

How does 2 "half spent spirals" translate to new? One unspent spiral???

Joe

WOW, totally unacceptable in my book. Your local guy should have offered to take a package out of one of his kits in inventory and have WE replace to him. Or WE should Overnight/Saturday delivery to you. I strongly suggest that you email Tim V. at WE and share all of this with him. I doubt that he will be hapy with your vendor's response or with that of WE.

Tim Vandergrift [[email protected]]

Yeah, I agree. However I got the kit online shipped to me. But I was kind of wishing the place would have opened one up and sent me a replacement pronto.

Guess I was in too good of a mood watching basketball to put up too much of a stink!

Thanks for the email reference. I think I will touch base just to see how things proceed.

Joe

Tony, just an update. I emailed Tim from Winexpert and he was quick to reply. He said the new additive packs were shipped from Ohio today!

He reminded me that a lot of there additive packs have trouble getting through customs so they need to ship from Ohio.

Regardless, problem solved and your help was truly appreciated!

Joe

Tony, another update. I received my replacement packs today by Priority Mail. Everything was still sealed so I am a step ahead of the game.

I also received my American and French oak spirals. This means that I will be starting my batch this weekend!

Joe

Sounds great, good luck. Keep us posted on it's progress.

Tony,

I am looking for your input. My original ingredient bag that was ruined came with 1 bag of Toasted Oak (powder), 1 bag of French Oak (minuscule chips) and 1 bag of Oak Cubes (Europaen).

My replacement bag had an additional 2 bags of Toasted Oak (powder). 3 total. Do I follow the directions by putting all of the oak bags (except the Oak Cubes) into the primary fermenter?

I know you added an extra ounce of untoasted oak. What do you think?

Joe

I would only use 2 packs of the toasted oak dust. Save the other pack for a future kit. you have ok spirals you plan to add later that should suffice for extra oak. remember you can always add oak but you cannot take it away.

Tony,

I get where you are coming from. Makes a lot of sense. I really appreciate your input. It helps to bounce this stuff off of someone who has some experience. Thanks so much!

Joe

I started this kit a couple weeks ago and it is about done fermenting now. I tasted it when i checked the SG. Its good already. I think after it sits for a while with the oak cubes that came with the kit it will be the best wine i've made. good luck with yours.

I also started mine a few weeks ago and couldn't agree more. The deep rich color and aromas are hopefully a great prelude to what's to come. I'll keep updating as I go and will be interested in your progress too!!!!

Joe

I started my Sicilian Nero D'avola February 5th 2012, just bottled it a month ago.

Its absolutely outstanding already, very fruity and well rounded at this point. I also did the Limited Petite Syrah /Zinfandel at the same time and at 14 months it still needs time to come around.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with the Selection International w/skins kits.

Digger

Latest posts

Back