need opinions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcrnbrd

Reaction score
I am starting my first kit this week. I need to know what I need to check acid and ph. I have a hydrometer for sg. I got a lot of things in my equip kit but nothing to test for acid and ph. I have probably read to deep into the subject. Do I need to worry about this with a kit wine?
smiley5.gif

All you need to do with a kit is measure the SG and make sure it is within the range specified. If there is no specified range with your instructions for some reason please post and ask us what it should be. All these adjustments have already been made by the manufacturer. Make sure you stir it up really well, preferably with a drill mounted stirrer so you get an accurate SG reading. If its too low or too high try stirring again and dble check. On occasion the manufacturer makes a mistake or their machinery screws up but its not often, most of the time people dont stir very well or just dont read the hydrometer correctly.

Edited by: wade

Wade is correct, no further corrections are needed as the manufacturer has taken care of these issues for you. Even if your water at home has a weird pH (I always thought water was 7.0 but i guess not) you won't add enough of it to a kit to make a difference. If you are concerned you can always use bottled spring water to hydrate the kit.

Now I will add, if you are interested in bulk aging your wines it is nice to get a pH and sulfite's test kit to assure your sulfite levels are maintained during the bulk aging process. You really need both as to get a proper sulfite level you need to know the pH.

George sells some Accu-Vin kits that are very nice. I actually prefer these to using my pH meter. These tests are not required for kit making though and actually would have little use unless as I have said, you are bulk aging for an extended period of time.

Going by georges video it seemsthat a Ph would be off in a kit due to the process of concentrating the kit.

Back