Need fast answer about numbers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBWs

Sixth year into this... and still learning!
Reaction score
How many Cayuga grape vines would I need to plant to get enough grapes to make 3 gallons of wine?

Are you kidding me? I don't have the answer for you but Al or Grapeman will. Seems like a lot of work for just three gallons. JMO but I would either go for at least 12 gallons and gift it out or buy the grapes or juice. The juice is also relatively cheap to buy also. On the other hand I give you kudo's for going through the process.

I had cayuga vines up to a few years ago. Even after keeping up with cluster thinning I was getting right at 1 gallon of wine per vine. The picture in my avatar is cayuga.

My wife is going to buy me some plants for my Birthday. I'm looking at getting Triple Crown Blackberries or Anne Yellow Raspberries, or Cayuga grapes, or Red Lake Currants or a combination of the above. Right now I have a source for Raspberries and Blackberries but the land may be sold and cleared in a year or two. I'm trying to figure out which would be the easiest for a beginner wine maker to take care of and make the most wine out of. I have all 3 gallon carboy's so I make 3 gallon or 6 gallon batches. Looking for opinions, she has to order by this weekend to get 50% off.

So where you want to plant at maybe sold in a couple of years?

My wife is going to buy me some plants for my Birthday. I'm looking at getting Triple Crown Blackberries or Anne Yellow Raspberries, or Cayuga grapes, or Red Lake Currants or a combination of the above. Right now I have a source for Raspberries and Blackberries but the land may be sold and cleared in a year or two. I'm trying to figure out which would be the easiest for a beginner wine maker to take care of and make the most wine out of. I have all 3 gallon carboy's so I make 3 gallon or 6 gallon batches. Looking for opinions, she has to order by this weekend to get 50% off.
I do know you need berry plants that will self pollinate. I think getting 2 different varieties will work.

The land next door may be sold, the lady that owned it and left me pick berries passed away.

One vine will give one gallon but you do relize that it will take about three years before you will get a good harvest and your plants should be planted eight feet apart in the rows and the rows should be ten feet apart

If your looking for plants that get established fast grapes need 4 years before you should try and let them set a crop. Some berry plants can be quicker to get going. Berries can be more robust (depending on the area you live in) to disease pressures too.

just saw this.....um...i know someone who took in 700 pounds on less than 25 vines...i think the gallonage was around 43-45 gallons without actually reading my ...er his notes

Latest posts

Back