NEED A REALLY GOOD DEAL ON HONEY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any honey that is good quality for a little over 3 bucks a pound shipped to your house is a sweet deal...thanks Waldo!

Well, we willsee just how good it is.
smiley2.gif
Thanks for the tip Waldo.

Is this stuff really any better than what you buy at say BJ's cause I get it for $3.99 for 3lbs. there with no shipping and it says raw clover honey on it to and without having to pay the shipping is a lot cheaper.

Will let you know how good it is as soon as I get my order in.

wade said:
Is this stuff really any better than what you buy at say BJ's cause I get it for $3.99 for 3lbs. there with no shipping and it says raw clover honey on it to and without having to pay the shipping is a lot cheaper.

Dunno Wade, probably not. Honey is expensive here. For me that is a pretty good price. I ordered some and will see how it is.

Not all honey is created equal and at one time I had 5 different ones and it was amazing the difference in taste and aromas between them.

Until I did this I though honey was just honey!
smiley29.gif

Edited by: masta

Waldo, did you order some of this honey? If so, what you gonna do with it? I ordered a 9 lb batch andnow am contemplating what kind of Mead to make.

Indeed I did smurfe and I found it to be some great honey. I am using it in my "Experimental Port" in lieu of sugar.

that's equivalent to $37 per gallon with shipping.

there are better prices out there.

i never bother with anything smaller than 5 gallon batches.

i usually buy in 5 gal pails.

http://www.dutchgoldhoney.com has them for $75 to $90 with shipping to florida for $31. (equivalent to $21 per gallon)

(beware sleazy honey sellers who adulterate with corn syrup. i
would like to think that a high ebay rating would help to avoid that. )

if you search ebay for honey and 60, you will find 60 lb pails
that have sold for as low as $64 + $46(to FL) equivalent to about
$22 per gallon.

Ok Waldo... your fault.. you got me interested in the honey stuff to mix with my blueberry... I am just going to let my blueberry sit until I hear from you experienced mead makers. Last spring I was messing around doing a little research on honey bees.... collapsed hive disease... and all that... eventually I started learning about the worlds best honey and all the information I gathered was that the Lavender Honey from France tops them all... well, at that time I did find outlets that sold it... no longer have that information... blah blah.. anyway. You know whats next... need to bend some ears on this mead/blueberry stuff.

The best honey you can find will be whatever you can get locally. I tend to use a lot of Orange Blossom Honey because I live in Florida and we have lots of local places that sell the stuff. However I've have great success using mail order, heath store and Sam's honey.
Here are a couple of places I've had success with:
http://www.lltupelohoney.com/index.htm
http://www.fruitwoodorchardshoney.com/honey_products.html
and the national locator:
http://www.honeylocator.com/
Next on my list is a blueberry melomel with orange blossom honey so good luck with yours.
VPC

That's very close to what I'm doing except I'll start with a traditional mead first and then add the blueberries in the secondary, unless I get lazy. Right now I'm planning to use 1 1/2 lbs per gallon but that could change. My game plan is to make this and a blackberry melomel with enough leftover to blend the extra together after they have fermented.
VPC

I think adding honey in lieu of sugar in fruit wines (i.e., melomel) is a great way to add body and complexity to simple fruits. For the past several years, each year I have made five gallons of peach wine with sugaradjustments and five gallons of peach wine with 6 lbs of honey. The peach melomel always tastes better and is more complex. Plain peach wine is not very complex and is a bit thin in body. Because I use the same crop of peaches and have done this comparison for several years, I've decided in the future to always make peach melomel rather than peach wine.

Good morning
Not sure if you noticed my thread about blending my current 2 gallons of blueberry with a mead wine... I believe I am going to back off on that. The blueberry I have now appears to have quite a bit of CO2... think I will degass it and add a couple campdens and see if it settles down. After that I am thinking I would like to backsweeten it with honey to about 1,005. Would be interested in an opinion on that... thanks

Do you like the wine now? You can always experiment a little on a small scale and add some honey and some wine to a glass and taste test. Honestly I'd just make a blueberry mead and leave the wine alone not because I don't think the idea is good but because I really like blueberry wine. Maybe when I make some more I'll test out adding some honey to sweeten the wine.
VPC

I think sweetening it with honey will give it a little more body and make a tad bit of difference from using sugar. Why dont yo pour 2 glasses and add honey to 1 and sugar to the other and see what tickles your fancy. It wont be the same as a Mead but will give you an idea of the difference honey can make. Also, PM me with your address and Ill try to get a Blueberry mead up to ya after the holidays.

Latest posts

Back