Need a good Pinot Noir kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
I am trying to find a good Pinot noir wine kit.
While I did not want to make any high end kit until next year, I figure if I get a head start now, maybe by this time next year I will not have to buy my wife a store bought bottle of Mark West every week.

I notice that my 2nd nearest LHBS has Wine Expert Selection™ Chilean Pinot Noir 16L Wine Kit for $129.

I have no experience with wine expert, does anyone?
There is no mention of a grapeskins or dried grapes.
I am trying to move towards making decent kits and have been under the assumption that good kits usually have skins. (althought I have my dried grape pack left over from the super tuscan).

I was trying to avoid having to order one off the interwebs. This way I could keep the transaction off my books, as my wife would see.

So if I could get my LHBS to order it, I would be good to go.

:w

I started the En Primeur Pinot Noir back in July and just moved it into a Vadai barrel on Monday. The nose is already spectacular (IMHO) and the flavors are really coming around nicely. Wishing I had done it a year ago so I could be enjoying it this Thanksgiving.

I'm doing the cellar craft Pinot noir. It comes with a bag of skins. Getting ready to do my first rack.

If you're interested in a lower end kit...

Both my wife and I were well pleased with how our first wine making experience turned out, an RJS VdV Pinot Noir kit, in spite of a glitch along the way. A remake of that very same kit is currently bulk aging.

Last edited:
I have done the WE Estate selection, The Cellar Craft Sterling and a cheap RC Paklab (with tweaks) I think they are all better than a Mark West.
The cellar craft was $100 with a grape pack. I picked it up in Ft Myers while down there. The Paklab was $45 + 19 for tweaks.

If you guys drink a bottle a week, after you make your own it will become a bottle a day sooner than you think. Sooo, make a few kits.

I've also been looking into a Pinot Noir, and wondering: does anyone know of a kit that has/could be tweaked to taste similar to MEIOMI Pinot Noir? I love the very forward vanilla it has, and it is so smooth!

Thanks for feedback on Pinot. I am real close to pulling trigger on wine Expert Selection™ Chilean Pinot Noir 16L Wine Kit for $129.
I got home lat night and wife had bought 2 more bottles of mark west. What drives me nuts the most about mark west is their bottles are near impossible to de-label. They cause me the most time with soaking and effort. I think they do this simple out of spite, knowing I am looking to replace them.

I was just weary because I have no experience with wine expert expert selection series.

I also don't know where this brand compares to MM or Rj Spags EN.

I also have no idea how Chilean Pinot Noir compares to west coast (napa/Washington) Pinot noir?

I also have no idea how Chilean Pinot Noir compares to west coast (napa/Washington) Pinot noir?

Why not let your taste buds tell you? :D. It's a great reason to go to your local wine shop.

Last edited:
As Jim Boatboy said the RJS EP Dashwood is excellent.

Cellar Craft Premium California Reserve Pinot Noir is excellent! This is my second kit:db

For $30 more I can get the En Primeur Dashwood, Pinot Noir.
Considering it is 18L and not 16, seems to be a good selling point.
Since I already have the super tuscan and I know how good that is, cant imagine the Pinot Noir would be any different.

Thanks for all responses

The RJS Winery Series with grape pack is 16L + 2L grape pack. The RJS Winery Series without grape pack (ex. Chile Chardonnay) is 18L:?

Last edited:
I just called Southern Homebrew and Wine Making Supply and they said the RJS Winery Series is 18L :r

Great news:b

If I'm not mistaken, the way that works is the kitmakers call it 18L, but it is actually 16L of juice and ~2L of grap pack.

Latest posts

Back