Cellar Craft Nebbiolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggerdan17

Self Made Thousandaire
Reaction score
Just picked this Limited Edition up today, any body done a Nebbiolo before.

Not sure what to expect from this one but I decided to think outside the box when I ordered this one and will put it away for 18 months before I crack one open.

Apparently they sourced the grapes from a farm in California....

I did one of these 5 or 6 years ago - it was a Nebbiolo d'Alba and a WinExpert LE at that time. I recall it was probably the best kit I had made to that time - if you like good Barolo then this should suit you well. The one I made was probably sourced from Italy so there may be some differences??

I have made Nebbiolo a few times but from Juice (Regina). It turned out really good. Probably have some tucked away downstairs too.

Let it age at least a year before bottling.

I just stabilzed and cleared this kit yesterday.

A little disappointed in the SG, supposed to be high alcohol, and my starting sg was 1.072- this was before the grape pack had a chance to sit too long. That was filled 23L, not to the 23L Italian carboy mark. I think that is the lowest of any CC showcase kits I have done in the past. Hopefully, the grape pack upped the sg to at least around 1.082- 1.087

I was also bummed that the 2012 LE's only come with the 2kg grape pack, unlike last year's large 2.6kg superpacks.

Dan, let me know your starting SG- if you don't mind!

ts

Just pitched the yeast on my Nebbiolo and before the grape pack it was 1.080. After mixing in the grape pack took a reading of 1.096.

I suspect that if I took a reading a little later today after I stirred it really good that it may go even higher possibly 1.098 - 1.100.

It takes a bit for all the sugar in the Grapepack to dissolve into the juice.

Assuming that my wine finishes at .992 then I will end up with almost 14% ABV

Good luck with your wine.

Last edited:
Just pitched the yeast on my Nebbiolo and before the grape pack it was 1.080. After mixing in the grape pack took a reading of 1.096.

I suspect that if I took a reading a little later today after I stirred it really good that it may go even higher possibly 1.098 - 1.100.

It takes a bit for all the sugar in the Grapepack to dissolve into the juice.

Assuming that my wine finishes at .992 then I will end up with almost 14% ABV

Good luck with your wine.

Hi diggerdan, do you use this formula(1.098 - .992= .106 x 131= 13.88 %) I haven't seen anyone use this recently and just wanted to make sure I was accurate.

I use this formula as opposed to PA on hydrometer. I think that PA % calculates using 1.00 SG at end of fermentation as opposed to a lower SG (like .992) I've seen 133 on other threads as well. Don't know where I got 131.

I too have this in primary. Started at 1.092 after grape pack and stirring. I was expecting 1.01+. The lowest i usually fermint down to is about .994 or 5. Expected higher abv.

where and what kind of grapepak? I'm getting ready to stabilize and check out color and body. Lots of lees, at least an inch of sediment in the secondary.

excuzzi mia, I thought we were talking WE PS/Zin Kit. I'm sure the Nebbi kit comes with grapepak. I've got the CC Pinot Noir LE bulk aging now and the RM Trio coming soon.

I just stabilzed and cleared this kit yesterday.

A little disappointed in the SG, supposed to be high alcohol, and my starting sg was 1.072- this was before the grape pack had a chance to sit too long. That was filled 23L, not to the 23L Italian carboy mark. I think that is the lowest of any CC showcase kits I have done in the past. Hopefully, the grape pack upped the sg to at least around 1.082- 1.087

I was also bummed that the 2012 LE's only come with the 2kg grape pack, unlike last year's large 2.6kg superpacks.

Dan, let me know your starting SG- if you don't mind!

ts

I have this kit in 2nd right now. Blew through the 1st in 7 days @ 75F
Staring SG was 1.092 @80F with grape pack in and 1.095 after 12 hrs.
I can't believe yours would be that low. Check you hydrometer.

Clarifying day for this one. It is truly delicious at this point. The only deviation I have made from the instructions (so far) is adding one ounce of untoasted American oak dust during primary. the only tweaks I have planned is to bulk age at least until October with the last three months possibly being in my neutral barrel mimicking the older barrels often used for Nebbiolo. Gosh, I really hope this wonderful taste and aroma stays. Almost makes me want to hurry and bottle it.

TonyT, I believe I've read some of your posts in the past and you're a fan of glycerin. If so, do you still add for body or has the barrel elimanated that tweak for you. I'm going to give it a try on the CC PNoir LE kit.

TonyT, I believe I've read some of your posts in the past and you're a fan of glycerin. If so, do you still add for body or has the barrel elimanated that tweak for you. I'm going to give it a try on the CC PNoir LE kit.
Yes, I absolutely still add glycerin. If the wine style calls for a thick rich texture I add it a couple days prior to bottling. Always IF needed. Did not add to yesterdays Chardonnay. Did add to Petit Verdot and to MMR Ausie Cab Shiraz. Did add to MMR Nero D'Avola that spend 3 months in barrel. Did not add to RJS Cru Select Temoranillo Grenache no barrel. Go by your taste and keep good notes. Oh, and careful listening to me, that could be dangerous. :se

Yeah, you don't want the Forum police on your trail. Do you generally use 4 oz bottle per 6 gallons as a guideline or more? I'm ready to give gylcerin a try, after my last RJS RQ was just too thin even with the added G.Cru tannin, although I did finally get enough CO2 out for my satisfaction with a new vacpump.

Yes I use 4oz to 6 gallons. 3 or so ounces of simple syrup can help also w/o adding noticeable sweetness. But for sure dont tell anyone you did it. And ALWAYS bench test first.

Bacci, I just found my notes on adding glycerin.
Adding glycerin
You can add the glycerin after the wine making process is complete, right before bottling. A typical dose would be 1 or 2 tablespoons per gallon of wine. The maximum dose that would be recommended is 4 tablespoons per gallon which also equals 1/4 cup. Using more that this could have a negative effect on the wine. Wines with too much glycerin are described as fleshy, chewy or even meaty.

So a 4 oz bottle would show a positive effect on mouthfeel and body for a 5 - 6 gal carboy? I sampled my CC Pinot Noir LE edition today and the color and body are a little fuller than many commercial Pinots I've drank. So I considering adding it to my WE PS/ZIN instead.

Tasted this Nebbiolo today . . . WOW. It's been in the barrel for two months now (one more to go) and it's incredible. When I tasted it in April I loved it and hoped the great taste stays, it's even better. May have to try to round up another of these, surely there's one more hiding out there somewhere.

Latest posts

Back