My winegarden

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Thanks to Rich, here is my wine garden. 18 Black Currant trees that so far all survived well so hopefully in 2-3 years will be supplying my Currant wine consumption. They are all flowering very strong this year so all looks good!
20100410_185700_Picture_001.jpg

20100410_185715_Picture_002.jpg

They look great Wade, and a lot less for me to worry about taking care of! I forgot to mention that a huge pine tree fell down and flattened the trellis where the currants were last year, so you saved their lives Wade! Pretty cool huh?

happy for you...i found out last week that it is legal for me to grow up here in nh....so i have to get me some

I saved their lives and soon they will be saving my bank account! Fair deal!

That sounds good, i have never tried Red Currants but I did see some small packages of them lats year at the grocery store for the first time in my life but they were expensive.

Hey Wade, I want a refund.
smiley36.gif
I was just cleaning up a bit of the mess from the fallen pine tree and repairing the trellis. What do you suppose I found there? Dozens ofCURRANTS GROWING!!!!!!!! Mostly the Titania! Remember we saw some that looked like seedlings? Well they grew! Hey AL............

YOU want a refund! I came up there to grab all you had and low and behold you were holding out on me! You better ship those over here next day air or Ill drive up there with more bottles of wine for you!
smiley4.gif

YOU want a refund! I came up there to grab all you had and low and behold you were holding out on me! You better ship those over here next day air or Ill drive up there with more bottles of wine for you!
smiley4.gif
When they get a little bigger Ill make another trip!

The black currents look great, Wade. But it also looks like you're growing cars!
smiley36.gif
When my place looks like that it's because all the teenagers and their friends are home!

When we were loading them in the back end of your truck, we dropped a branch on the ground. Today I saw it starting to grow so I picked it up, figuring it was just a twig that had budded out. It had already rooted a mass of roots bigger than my spread hand, so I planted it at the end of a row of grapes. Some of the ones growing where I had them were side branches that had layered roots, that we had missed. There are dozens if not hundreds of tiny ones 6-10 inches tall. They certainly come up easier than the ones we dug. Just a little pull and they come right up now. Maybe I should pot them so I don't kill them with roundup when I plant grapes where the currants were.

Pot them, this way when I come up there next year to get them it will be much easier!
smiley36.gif

hahahahahhaha....hey, i want those vines... :) but i dont see myself breaking away this spring or summer...so Wade you r gonna have to keep telling me what i am missing :)

Rich, for the currants, is it ok to fertilize the yard with like Scotts lawn products and if I were to want to use some weak control how far should I stay from the bushes? My yard is not doing good this year at all and I really didnt want to water the lawn but I believe Im going to have to or I will probably lose the whole lawn, its very very dry this year and the ants are starting to try and take over along with weeds! The Currants are doing great though and Im definetly going to transplant 3 Elderberry this fall when they go doramnt, maybe more but these are in an area where nobody cares and hoepfully I can find some more.

Latest posts

Back