My tips on racking with Auto-Siphon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the auto-siphon as well. If you pull the plunger out as you lower it, there is very little displacement and I usually get half way down before pumping. I do like the clamp trick, but I have found that it is very rare that I suck up sediment when resting it on the bottom - after I get the siphon started. To that point, I usually have let things settle for at least 3 weeks at any one stage. I noticed when racking 2 weeks after stabilizing that the sediment did not seem as firmly packed down and the remnant after racking seemed more juicey - had to pour that into a wine bottle to settle out!
Great tutorial.

The auto siphon is great!

Another remedy for the other end coming out of the receiving carboy...set it on a higher surface until the siphoning is underway. Then you can move it to the floor to finish.

Bert found us some little clips to use on the hose to keep it from leaking air. Bert, where did you get those?

That is great idea....
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

I have already busted 2 autosiphons, cracked the canes at the bend
putting tubing on and off, they seem much weaker than regular canes to
me, but still going to use them and be extra carefull putting hose onto
the canes from now one. I have some of those orange clamps 10 feet from
my racking bench and never even thought of clamping one of them on!
Great idea. Crackedcork

Cracked Cork said:
I have already busted 2 autosiphons, cracked the canes at the bend putting tubing on and off, they seem much weaker than regular canes to me, but still going to use them and be extra carefull putting hose onto the canes from now one. I have some of those orange clamps 10 feet from my racking bench and never even thought of clamping one of them on! Great idea. Crackedcork

Run some hot tap water over the end of the hose before installing and removing it, works for me.
Dave

Masta, thanks for the pictures on racking. I used to have a similiar
system until I discovered the Crownridge Winery pump. I've used it now
for five or six wines and find it to be fast and easy.It fits into the carbow aswell
as the bucket. The cost is around $ 36.bucks plus shipping.Check it out at www.crownridgewinery.com. Thanks.

MackEdited by: Mack

Absolutely not! I get about a glass a siphoning. Nothings grtting in the way of that!
smiley36.gif

If you look at Macks post they now have a extender tip for carboys.

have you ever made sparkling wine,if so whats the proper method of ,keg to bottle,what to use?

auto siphons are excellent tools of the trade 1/2 inch is the way ,I know how you feel when you break one and I have ,from bottle to bottle ok,but from bucket on the floor to a 15 gallon or 6 gallon bottle on a rack and faced with eleven or so I get out the big guns and use my electric food grade pump in seconds its done and no backbraking lifting,pump up to 20 feet straight up ,lessons learned when friends don't show and there you are! all by your lonesome,and theirs volumes to do
smiley2.gif

WADE bought a beer gun the only way to fly when bottling sparkly,stainless steel barralwith stopper,triger for shooting co2 for a few seconds then a trigger for the carbonnated wine,only tried it to make selzer ,good tool next sunday muisati,slitely back sweeten turned into spaminiti,,should be just fine
smiley31.gif

Steve said:
I have one and it works great. I really don't use it that much, due to my limited space I don't feel that I can properly sanitize it. I like to dip all my stuff in sanitizer and I have no where to do that. Any suggestions? How does everyone else sanitize theirs? It works great and I would love to start using it again.

When I first got it I made the rookie mistake of sticking it into an almost full carboy andmade a huge mess as the wine spilled out of the neck...oops I then realized I needed to pull out the plunger as I pushed it in.

I would also recommend getting a longer hose.

Steve, In addition to PWP's ideas on sanitizing, you might also consider a piece of 2" or 3"plastic sewer pipe long enough to contain your long pieces and with a cap on one end. Pour your sanitzing solution in and you can soak your siphon or whatever else you want.

Jack on Rainy said:
Steve, In addition to PWP's ideas on sanitizing, you might also consider a piece of 2" or 3"plastic sewer pipe long enough to contain your long pieces and with a cap on one end. Pour your sanitzing solution in and you can soak your siphon or whatever else you want.

Just make sure it is a new and unused piece of sewer pipe!
smiley11.gif

But seriously. Great tip. I'm going to have to make one of those!

I have two of these,the statement that the switch in a little weak is correct,both mine failed after a short period of use I end up taking off the switch plate and used a quarter as a switch,in my case their a good idea but short on value,I don't use them anymore the auto siphons and my electric pump are the right way to go for the long term for me,I would not recommend them to anyone
smiley21.gif
MACK this item is not on my wish list:Edited by: joeswine

Latest posts

Back