My Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Last nite after reading everyone's advice, I transferred my peach must to a one gallon jug with air lock. The SpGr 0.999, I know, I didn't keep a close eye on it. I strained it into the one gallon jug and it started settling out pretty fast, not much (if any) gas. It did raise the level in my air lock, but not enuf to bubble, the krud on the bottom was rising like a bunch of clouds in a storm, but no gas. What should I do now or is there anything that can be done? The only thing I have on hand is Campden Tablets and as I understand it, I don't add them until after I sweeten it, and then I add them just to kill any yeast that may be left.
Would appreachate any advice----Thanks

Semper Fi

Later Bud

I would leave it as is until you can get some Potassium Sorbate. Then I would add the Sorbate and campden tablet then back sweeten and add the F-pack. However, I'm a beginner myself so I'm not sure I would take my own advice at this point. However, that has worked so far for me.

I would leave it as is until you can get some Potassium Sorbate. Then I would add the Sorbate and campden tablet then back sweeten and add the F-pack. However, I'm a beginner myself so I'm not sure I would take my own advice at this point. However, that has worked so far for me.

This is what I do, I sorbate wait at least 24 hrs, then camden and backsweeten/F-pac. Works great for me!

Back sweeten

Tell me how to back sweeten, and why do you use potassium sorbate?

Sorbate & Back Sweeten

Bamadoc, I'm probably newer at this than you but here's what I think.
After your wine stops working, you taste of it and if you think it needs more sweetness you take a little of the wine out and add some sugar to it and get it all supended and mixed up real good and pour it back into you carboy. How much you add it just a guess on your part unless you have some test equipment, which I don't have. What I did on my peach wine (1 gallon) is I added a fourth cup of sugar. I figured that if that wasn't enuf I could add some more. Anyway, that got it to where I thought it taste pretty good. Then I added one campden tables (mashed up to a fine powder)
As for Potassium Sorbate, I think its for perserving your wine, if you plan on keeping it for a while. I don't plan on using any, I'm going to lay down on the floor and run the racking tube to my mouth.
I've got no business trying to tell you anything about makeing wine, I just started trying about 2 weeks ago. But, I figure someone will read this and make corrections and we will both learn from it.

Semper Fi

Later Bud

Love it

I love the idea of just sucking it out of the tube. I have thought of doing that with a couple of the beers I have brewed. Why bottle it when you can just drink it from the carboy! :)

Back