My MLF Paper stayed Yellow??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fog

Reaction score
So I'm doing a MLF on some of my wines and when I went to test, I pulled the paper out and let it dry and it's still yellow. I can't see any of the progress. Thoughts?

I purchased this Chromatography kit in April of this year and I have had everything store in the house all closed up and sealed.

MLF.jpg

No followed the directions, Stapled it and stood it on end with about 1/2 inch of solution in the container. I did it just like I did this spring and I had good results then. This time... Just a yellow paper.

I am trying another test to see if that one is yellow too.

I put it in about 3 pm yesterday and pulled it out at 8 am this morning. The paper is completely dry now, and yellow.

Still needs some time...you will probably start seeing some spots later tonight

The color of the paper is fine. It takes 24-48 hours for the spots to fully develop. The only thing I see is not much sample blot at the bottom (start) of the page where the wine and standards were added. You may have not added enough of each to get a good spot. You want a small blot but you want to hit it over and over several times and let each spot dry for a bit before adding the next. You don't want to end up with a huge spot but one about the size of a pencil eraser or just smaller works well.

Make sure the 1/2 inch of liquid is well BELOW the line of samples you spotted on the paper. If that is under the liquid, the samples will just wash off. Also, you may want to spot them more concentrated. Spot the paper, let it dry, and repeat spotting it in the same spot several times.

So Time was the key. It looks much better today. Thanks everyone for the help and answers.

Who knew you would need "patience" with wine making?

Back