WineXpert My Merlot Is Turning Into Vinegar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzyswimmer

Reaction score
<DIV =postcolor id=post-175455>I made a we merlot, that tasted great when bottled. I opened a bottle last night and it has a faint vinegar smell and taste. I grabbed a 2nd bottle and opend it . Aghhhhhh same thing. Looks as if I'll be dumping it down the drain. I don't know how this happened. It showed great promise when bottled.

I wouldn't dump it down the drain just yet! I have found some Red Wines develop the slight vinegar smell/flavor to them when first bottled. Leave it in the bottle for another four months and try another bottle then-longer if you can wait more. I think you will find that it lessens or dissapears completely. You can also put it in a decanter and wait to serve it. Don't be dicouraged, have patience and everything should be OK.
smiley4.gif

I have to agree. Leaveit rest. I have yet to find a red kit wine that smells nice until well over a year in the bottle. It isn't costing you anything to let it age a bit more. If it is indeed going bad you can dump it in a few months as opposed to now. I wouldn't dump it until it is close to 2 years old and still holding that aroma and taste.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

Yes, Dizzy,
Don't dump it! Patience and faith are some of the most important tools you can have in your wine maker's tool kit. We've hadwines that smelled like burnt tires for several years.
smiley11.gif
It's finally coming around. Box it up, stash it in some dark cool place and forget about it for a while. Just be sure the bottles end up laying on their sides.

I would agree with PolishWineP.....Stash it away and forget about it...

Ok, I'll give it some more time. It has only been bottled 2 months. I just wanted to give it a try. It really tasted good when bottled. Thanks for the replys. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Dizzy, your wine is just too young. I didn’t care for my WE Merlot until it had two years of bottle aging. I know it is a long time but if you can save a few bottles for 2 to 3 years, you will be rewarded.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Back