My first Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually that makes good sense. Lon is the Godfather, I will go with his advice.

Well, adding the extra Campden didn't have any adverse effect after letting it sit for 48 hours in the primary before adding the yeast slurry. The slurry made a HUGE difference over adding rehydrated yeast from the packet (what I did last time). I used a yeast slurry from some Apple Cider wine using Premier Cuvee yeast, which I had put in the freezer to save for this SP. I dumped the frozen yeast slurry straight into the SP, and within 4 hours it was already bubbling in there. 24 hours later it was so active I added the next round of lemon juice, and will add the final amount of lemon juice today or tonight depending on how active it is (haven't checked yet).

Here's an oldy from grade school days.

Q: Whad'ja drink at breakfast?
A: Pea green Skeeter Pee

Q: Whad'ja drink at lunch?

Q: Whad'ja drink at supper?

Q: Whad'ja do all night?
A: Pee green Skeeter Pee!

100_2896.jpg

Guys,

Just started my first batch of skeeter pee. More or less using the recipe to the tee, except haven't used slurry. Used EC1118, which I rehydrated in a cup with some warmish (40 degrees C) water and some of the juice from the carboy. Left it about 20 minutes and added to the carboy and rest of the juice.

36 hrs later and taking off well.

My question is this (only been making wine about 6 months now), if I don't degas at the stabilisation phase and bottle once definitely sure not still fermenting - will this in effect be sparkling/carbonised skeeter pee?

By the way Lon - over the other side of the pond to you and thanks for your advice by email a few months back - can't wait to see how the first batch turns out.

Thanks

.............. My question is this (only been making wine about 6 months now), if I don't degas at the stabilisation phase and bottle once definitely sure not still fermenting - will this in effect be sparkling/carbonised skeeter pee? ...............

It will only be lightly carbonated and likely wouldn't clear very quickly. If you want carbonation to levels of other carbonated beverages, you'd need to either force carbonate or follow the methods use to make sparkling wines or beer.

My first batch of SP is still bubbling away int he secondary, although slowly. The second batch I started last Sunday, well, it finished fermenting in the primary, read 0.990. So I transferred it to a 4-L secondary, added Campden, Sorbate and some Bentonite (no Sparkalloid on hand). I hope it will be ok, having been finished in the primary. It looks ok, at least now anyway. I didn't taste it though, wish I had.

If you want carbonation to levels of other carbonated beverages, you'd need to either force carbonate or follow the methods use to make sparkling wines or beer.

I just started my 1st skeeter pee today and adding carbonation sounds good. We'll see how it tastes by itself but that might be really good.

I'm using a slurry from my peach strawberry wine.

Steve, you never forget your first one!

I'm drinking a glass right now.

it is a nice wine, I really enjoy it.

It would be a god wine for a beginer, its tough to ferment, but easily veritale, and I really like it without backsweetening.

Is about time you peed anyway!

Latest posts

Back