My first Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first batch of pee is fermenting like crazy. (never seen this much activity with beer or wine) Just pitched the yeast for the second batch...let's see what happens.

Mine is still bubbling like mad in the secondary. I reserved the slurry from my Apple Cider wine (Premier Cuvee yeast) which I transferred to secondary today, and put it in the freezer. So for my next batch of Pee I will use this slurry to get it started, which will probably be this weekend.

So mine is down to 1.042, but as a few have suggested i still have it in primary.
i just pitched the yeast last Friday at 1.070-ish and it just took off.
i added the last of the juice and the 2nd half of the nutrients and energizer yesterday.
Would another dose (nutrients&energizer) around 1.020-ish be too much?
The foam seems weird to me (like its "iced" with a different, darker color) but there is no off smell.
i have been whisking it at the least, once a day.
Plan to move it to secondary this weekend.

So mine is down to 1.042, but as a few have suggested i still have it in primary.
i just pitched the yeast last Friday at 1.070-ish and it just took off.
i added the last of the juice and the 2nd half of the nutrients and energizer yesterday.
Would another dose (nutrients&energizer) around 1.020-ish be too much?
The foam seems weird to me (like its "iced" with a different, darker color) but there is no off smell.
i have been whisking it at the least, once a day.
Plan to move it to secondary this weekend.

If you have a good ferment going after adding the last of the lemon adding more nutrient & energizer isn't necessary. Sounds like it is really going to town, I doubt that it will stop until it is dry. Did you use a slurry? If so that maybe the reason for the darker color foam.

Last edited:
no, i didn't even rehydrate, just sprinkle.

lol, i sprinkled on the tinkle. :)

it's almost like it's the energizer, but i mixed it in real good. (i know, "well")

My question, if i may piggy back this post, can i put the lid on now?
Even loosely would make me feel better, lol.

Thanks. Will put it on loosely at lunch. i have kids and pets and the dish towel with the rubber band is intriguing them all, i can tell.

The rubber bands i use, i found at the Lowe's store outside with the lawn mowers laying on the ground amongst the mowers. They have to have something to do with the mowers. :a1
They are the perfect size for the buckets.

Last edited:
So i loosely put the lid on the bucket at lunch and figured "while i'm here..." and checked the SG.
1.032! That's 10 points in like 14 hours!

This will definitely be ready to transfer to secondary this weekend.
Maybe tomorrow! But, we shall see... let us not rush into anything.

Ive delivered a few mowers for Sears. Those ubber bands hold the "chute" upright while they are in therir packing crate so the fit better and the chute doesnt stick so far out to the side.

I know exactly what they are. I think I have a few out in the tool cabinet.

Ive delivered a few mowers for Sears. Those ubber bands hold the "chute" upright while they are in therir packing crate so the fit better and the chute doesnt stick so far out to the side.

I know exactly what they are. I think I have a few out in the tool cabinet.
Whew! I was worried they were the lower end mowers using the rubber band to spin the blades like those little airplanes...
rubber-band-airplane.png

$#@%!!!!!!

So I'm mixing up the must for a new batch of skeeter pee, when I see the Campden Tablets and realize I forgot to add them! Good thing I remembered to add that, eh?:slp:slp:slp

You'll probably be okay for a day or so.

The main thing is that they prevent the wild yeast in the ai from messing with the must and preventing your yeast from doing its job.

Consider this tannin powder.

Got proof. (See other thread)

Oh Shoot!!! The recipe I am using didn't call for camden tablets. It calls for Kmeta during stabilizing. I racked the first skeeter to secondary at 1.010 two days ago. Just added second batch of ingredients to primary for the second batch.

AM I SCREWED...should I go ahead and ad the camden tabs to both batches now?:a1

I'd go ahead and add it now. I dont see a problem, maybe someoe lse has an opinion.

Well, I've been stirring this stuff up to get the extra sulfite out from my boneheaded move of adding Campden to that lemon uice!:slp I'll dump the slurry in tonight, or maybe even tomorrow morning.

Actually Lon anserwed my question about the camden tabs and here is what he says if anyone is interested:....

No campden is required in the initial stages if you are making according to my recipe. Just initial cleaning of equipment is all. We presume that the lemon juice in the sealed bottle is free of nasties. Your water source should also be drinkable. Beyond that, the high acid in the lemon and later the alcohol keep if from developing any life forms other than yeast.

Other fruit recipes often have campden to kill off bacteria and wild yeasts. You shouldn't have this problem with bottle juice and clean equipment. Just add the campden or metabisulfite when you stabilize and you're good to go.

Back