My First Mead HELP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineon4

Reaction score
I was given 20 lbs of honey, a very dark honey with a bitter taste. I made 5 gallon of traditional mead following a traditional recipe. It boiled and worked great for a week then died. The Mead was started in September 2014. I did everything I could think of from my wine making brain but could not restart it. This past week I started a strawberry/cranberry. This morning I racked the mead back into a primary and added the strawberry/cranberry that was boiling away into the mead. I then added a good dose of yeast nutrient to the batch. I now have a Strawberry/Cranberry Mead I HOPE. Any suggestion on how to proceed from this point? The friend who gave me the honey is expecting a nice mead from me this coming fall.:n

What was your S.G. reading at the start of the traditional and when it 'died'? Also the S.G. after you added the berries?
Did you kmeta/sorbate the traditional when it 'died'?

What was the starting SG of the mead. and what was the ending SG before you added the Stranberry?.... You will probably end up with a nice melomel, I have a blackberry cranberry melomel bulk aging that I think will come out well. It tasted great when last I racked it. I used Buckwheat honey in it.

What kind of yeast did you end up using? All these details are important in determining the best course of action.

Latest posts

Back