My first fresh juice/grapes and oak barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husker1223

Junior
Reaction score
I purchased by first 32 gallon Hungarian Oak Barrel, along with 30 gallons of fresh cab sav juice and a couple of lugs of grapes.

I sure could use some advice about how long to age in the barrel. I'm hearing everything from a few weeks to 1 1/2 years.

Any help would be appreciated.

OK,

This is like asking what is the best dish of food. It really depends on your tastes. I can tell you what I like, but it might not be what you like.

I am not a believer in fermenting on the oak. My goal is extracting the flavor profiles that lay below the surface of the wood. For this reason, I barrel age after fermentation and second recking. The benefit is that I see lees as forming a barrier between the oak and the wine. I just feel it is best to start barrel aging with rather clear wine. Others may disagree.

You say you have a 32 gallon (approx 120 liter) barrel? If correct, I would say that this barrel is a medium size. Most here age in 20 or 40 liter barrels (I would call small). The funny thing about size. The smaller the barrel, the MORE oak flavor imparted to the wine.

This is due to volume / surface area ratio. For smaller barrels, a higher percentage of wine is in contact with the wood. I agree with glowin in that the higher the volume of wine, the longer you can age it. I have a 60 gallon batch that has been aging a little over a year and is just about there.

My advise is to barrel it and then check it every 1 or 2 months. When you like the level of oak, make a note of it for future reference.

One last thing. You mention 30 gal of juice and a couple of lugs. You will need sveral gallons of wine to keep the barrels topped off. Sounds like you should be OK.

Totally agree your gonna need some commercial top off wine for the angels down the road. Luckily you can find 1.5L Mags of "Concha Y Toro" Cabernet for about $9.

Wow, thanks for all your input, it really means a lot. I realize that much of what I ask is a matter of taste. I've just heard that whether fermenting, or fermenting and aging with a barrel, that the newer the barrel the less amount of time you should leave it before bottling. I'm doing fermentation in a primary, then transferring to the barrel for aging.

Yes, Chilean. I get it from Harford Vineyards, near Baltimore, Md.

Hey Husker,

I'm headed up to Harford tomorrow to pick up my juice and some grapes. Have you used their juice buckets in the past? I'm curious what your experience has been if you have.

Jim

Latest posts

Back