My first bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw who am I kidding? I’ve already got gooseberries in the back yard, elderberry cuttings rooting, paw paws in pots to overwinter and have just volunteered to help tend a couple of beehives :)
Congrats on your first gallon! That first one can be, uh, life changing. And by life changing I mean start planning for bottle storage now.😆

Elderberries grow fast and you might have a harvest the first year. Paw paws will be a few years. Consider foraging for a crazy number of free wines.

@BigDaveK yes already have plans to increase the anise hyssop plantation, got seed in for meadowsweet, got some cranberry stolons, and wondering about capturing milkweed floral essence. I bet thats on your list already!
Basement storage might be an issue, the lights are often on and there’s a fair amount of heat generation. Maybe under the stairwell, which is currently walled off… in the meantime, inside a TV/stereo stand with doors…

@milw
I have to ask, because some of the corks in the last picture look like they may have some damage at the bottom. Did you reuse the corks when you re-corked the bottles?
No, I used fresh ones (softened in warm water for a few minutes). One bottle had a few cork crumbs from the first cork that I didn’t remove tho.
-Scott

The red Portuguese floor model, new. I’ll take another look at the bottles and at the first corks (threw them in drawer). Is it possible the corker is damaging the bottoms of the corks when it compresses them?
It's more likely you don't have the bottle lined up correctly.

You don't need to wet the corks as it won't make any difference.

I was originally taught to boil the corks, which actually makes them brittle. Generally speaking, the corks can go from the bag into the corker with no intermediate steps.

It's more likely you don't have the bottle lined up correctly
Here are some pics. The bottles I have, have got maybe 3mm play within the bossed area, and tend to slide away from the handle pivot side.(view from the top)
IMG_4251.jpeg
IMG_4250.jpeg
The cork pusher, when all the way down, is not centered in the bossed area either- is that normal?

IMG_4248.jpeg
Finally, not sure if this is the one that originally sparked concern @QuiQuog, its an Aglica (edit) #9 straight and this one has a dark piece of cork in the composite…

IMG_4252.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4250.jpeg
    IMG_4250.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I had the same problem this year and YOUTUBE is your friend.
I literally watched that exact video before posting, but he talked about replacing the jaws, and adjusting a sideways offset. Not clear what I should do for a front/back adjustment, maybe some shims inside to move the jaws toward the back?

PS I’m a Scott, is @Shurt1073 too?

I literally watched that exact video before posting, but he talked about replacing the jaws, and adjusting a sideways offset. Not clear what I should do for a front/back adjustment, maybe some shims inside to move the jaws toward the back?

PS I’m a Scott, is @Shurt1073 too?
The action of removing and resetting the jaws may correct problems.

Yes, multiple Scott's.

Back