My First Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoastalEmpireWine

Reaction score
I just started my first batch of strawberry wine! So far I've added 16 lbs of Strawberries, 5 campden tablets, pectic enzyme, and water to fill it to the 5 gallon mark. Im waiting on adding the sugar, because my clumsy wife broke my only hydrometer right after I started and I'm not sure if I can find one easily. I took my yeast out of the fridge, Im using wyeast rudeheismer yeast. Is there anything im missing? Once I get my hydrometer, I'm going to get the correct SG then start adjusting the pH balance. Is there anything else I need to do? BTW I did sterilize everything with easy clean.

coastalempirewine said:
i just started my first batch of strawberry wine! So far i've added 16 lbs of strawberries, 5 campden tablets, pectic enzyme, and water to fill it to the 5 gallon mark. Im waiting on adding the sugar, because my clumsy wife broke my only hydrometer right after i started and i'm not sure if i can find one easily. I took my yeast out of the fridge, im using wyeast rudeheismer yeast. Is there anything im missing? Once i get my hydrometer, i'm going to get the correct sg then start adjusting the ph balance. Is there anything else i need to do? Btw i did sterilize everything with easy clean.

make sure your wife doesn't see this post. Not good to call her "clumsy". :)

16lbs for 5 gallons seems a little weak, i think strawberry isnt very flavorful to start with so you wouldn't have much flavor after fermentation unless you plan to back sweeten, other than that you should be good to go once you get a hydrometer in hand.

I was thinking the same thing, I used about 40 lbs. for a 6 gal. batch, it is some kind of good. Also is red, not rust color.

My yeast seems to be a little unresponsive, I smacked the wyeast activator package about 6 hours ago and it didn't swell at all, I'm thinking about just trying the dry yeast, seeming how I'm kinda on a time crunch, trying to get as much completed before I deploy, my strawberries have been in the primary bucket now for 12 hours, I finally got a hydrometer ( bought 3 ) and added 6.8 lbs of sugar and got my wine to 1.086 S.G. And a pH of 3.38 all I'm waiting on now is my yeast to start up

Finally got my yeast bubbling nice and strong, I poured it into my batch, lets see what happens, I'll keep everyone informed, and post pictures

Your strawberry will probably be a bit weak, but if you get it bottled and let it sit on the shelf for a year or more, the flavor should come thru more. Good luck with it, Arne.

sounds like you are in good shape! as said flavor will be a bit weak at first but thats an easy fix, everything else looks great

Yeast has been in the primary for about 12 hours now, and I'm not seeing any activity yet. Is that a reason for concern?

sometimes it takes a bit, i think some can go 72 hours before showing activity

what yeast did you use?

If you have this under airlock---don't do it, just rest lid on top of bucket, you need the oxygen. Is your must warm enough? What is the temperature range for the yeast you are using? If it ranges in to the 70s(F) make sure your must is initially in that range, it may help. Also, different yeasts respond in different ways so you may not see active bubbles or foam---if you place your ear near the opening do you hear a snap,crackle,pop--like the fizzing of soda but finer? BINGO!

Did you treat your must with pectic enzyme and do you have yeast nutrient/energizer on hand just in case you get into H2S problems?

Yes I treated my must with pectic enzyme, and I added enough yeast nutrient to my must for 4 gallons, even though I'm making 5, my yeast energizer should be arriving within the next few hours. Ok, I'll remove the lid and just rest it on top.

while removing the lid get your ear close and listen, i just started a pear wine last night 2 buckets actually, and one bucket i can hear it doing its thing and i see some foam on top but its not like other batches i had where i could see the bubbles going crazy.

I hear the "snap, crackle, pop" noise, its very fine and I had to get close but I can hear it. Woud it hurt if I put a little bit of yeast energizer in there? The temp is roughly 74 degrees.

go for it, it wont hurt at all, but that noise is the sound of success

I used Wyeast Rudesheimer yeast. It is a liquid strain. I let it sit out of the fridge for about 12 hours, then I activated it. The Company who sold me the yeast didn't pay attention and sent me liquid yeast 9 months passed its manufacture date (according to Wyeast about after 6 months months the yeast begin to die)
Heres the link to the yeast:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=64

I also have red star dry yeast on stand by just in case, but I wanted to venture out on my own and try this yeast.

well it seems to be doing its job if it sounds like a bowl of rice crispy's :) mission accomplished, now just kick back watch and wait, stir it some too

Back