my first batch from grapes, am I doing things correctly?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTheWiner

Begintner
Reaction score
I purchased a crusher/destemmer and bladder press last week and 110 lb each of Lodi Zin and Cab Franc. I have only done kits thus far and hoping I am doing things correctly. Crushed and stemmed both into large wide vats. Measured 25 and 22 brix. Added pectic enzyme, k meta and 1/4 oak powder to each. Sat for 2 days covered with sheets and then pitched yeast (I think I added nutrient as well). When exactly do I press? It is fermenting on skins right now and punching down twice daily. Do I ferment dry then press or just give it a few days? Also my Vinmetrica reagents are expired so I have to wait for new ones to arrive in 3-5 days to test pH and TA.

ferment to at least sg=1.000 or less. Press into carboys. wait three days, rack again. add kmeta. wait three weeks rack again add kmeta. let wine clear. test for ph and ta . make adjustments. In future make ph adjustment prefementation. yeast likes to ferment in a PH 3.3-3.5 environment.

sal is spot on, but I have one suggestion.

If you plan on doing a Malo-Lactic fermentation (and I suggest you do) on the wine after pressing, don't add any kmeta at pressing. MLF bacteria is very sensitive to sulfites, FYI.

After you press, let the wine sit a few days to clear a bit, transfer, and add your MLF bacteria. This process can take 30-60 days, so be patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good. I am awaiting new reagents from Vinmetrica so I had a friend check my TA which he thought needed some tartaric acid. Cab Franc was 5.475 and Lodi Zin is 5.325. I WILL do MLF, thanks for the tips. Good to see I'm on the right track.

Should I be adding yeast nutrient? They've been fermenting for 12 days at about 70F and only at about 1.026

probably yes. Very little downside risk to adding nutrient in your situation. I would expect the SG to be lower than that after 12 days. :/

I was going to wait until under 1.000 to press but maybe I'll just do it now. Should I add the nutrient b4 or after I press and should I add more yeast after pressing?

Actually it is energizer I was thinking of adding. I think I actually used some nutrient before I pitched the yeast.

Latest posts

Back