My Diamond Wine Rack is complete

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
Well after much hard work and long hours, my diamond wine rack is complete:

winerack-1.jpg

winerack3-1.jpg

My father did a lot of the cutting while I was at work, then at night we would get togethier and put this togethier peice by peice.

The rack holds 196 bottles, and if you jiggle a couple bottles here and there you could probley get 200 to fit.

If you want close up pictures of anything let me know.

Scuba

Thanks guys for all the praise. This gives me a reason to make even more wine, to fill the rack ;).

Scuba

Scubaman2151 said:
Thanks guys for all the praise. This gives me a reason to make even more wine, to fill the rack ;).

Scuba

Did you need a better reason??? Nice rack................ Where you get the plans???

It took awhile to find plans on how to make this. Actually there are no real plans on how to make this type of rack, they are more so guidlines. I found a article in the oct 05' issue of Winemaker written by Jeff Cox that provided a lot of insight on how to make this, but I also spent a lot of time on a couple other sights finding out how people built thiers.

Scuba

Nice wine rack Scuba....now get it filled..lol...I'm sure you will..

yes, i agree w everyone here...nice handiwork..and 196 is a lot of bottles...i see you store it outside w a bunch of bottles alreayd in it...whats the address you look like you might need me to guard it for you.

what is the wood species and the stain?...did you urethane over it?

Knotty pine Im sure with Urethane and maybe Ipswich stain? Fill us in Scuba.

Scuba, do you think you could give us the plans?? or the measurements??
Old buddy old pow
smiley4.gif

Nicely done, Scuba! Once you get it filled, cover it with heavy cloth and don't touch it for a year. Then, send out your address and we'll see how quickly we can empty it!
smiley36.gif

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you guys. I had to get my notes and type up everything for you, but here is a detailed account of what we did:

WINE RACK<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

We used two 1” x 12” boards 8’ long to make the outside box.

We used four 1” x 12” boards 8’ long to make the inside box with shelves.

I did not want to make the outside box first then have to fit the inside boards in one-at-a-time. I was concerned about the angles and the difficulty of getting it correct the first time. I saw a lot of work doing it that way.

So we did it in steps.

Step 1
We took two 8’ board and cut them in half and made the outside box. When done we place that on the side.

<TABLE =MsoTableGrid style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-border-alt: solid text .5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 480; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-border-insideh: .5pt solid text; mso-border-insidev: .5pt solid text" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1>
<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 69pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: text 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: text 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: text 1pt solid; WIDTH: 81.1pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: text 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 69pt; : transparent; mso-border-alt: solid text .5pt" vAlign=top width=108>

</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Step 2
The inside box was calculated to be 37.25” length. 3 sections of 11 ¾ and 4 boards at ½”. That’s were we also made a mistake, using ½” for the board width’s, when actually the boards measured ¾” thick. This caused us to be off 1/8” four times.
<TABLE =MsoTableGrid style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-border-alt: solid text .5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 480; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-border-insideh: .5pt solid text; mso-border-insidev: .5pt solid text" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1>
<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 66pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: text 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: text 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: text 1pt solid; WIDTH: 87.15pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: text 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 66pt; : transparent; mso-border-alt: solid text .5pt" vAlign=top width=116>

</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
Outside box step 1 complete

<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 21.5pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: text 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: text 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: text 1pt solid; WIDTH: 30.05pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: text 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 21.5pt; : transparent; mso-border-alt: solid text .5pt" vAlign=top width=40>
</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: text 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: text 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 30.05pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: text 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 21.5pt; : transparent; mso-border-alt: solid text .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid text .5pt" vAlign=top width=40>
</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: text 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: text 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 30.05pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: text 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 21.5pt; : transparent; mso-border-alt: solid text .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid text .5pt" vAlign=top width=40>
</TD></TR>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 21.5pt; mso-yfti-irow: 1">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: text 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: text 1pt solid; WIDTH: 30.05pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: text 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 21.5pt; : transparent; mso-border-alt: solid text .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid text .5pt" vAlign=top width=40>
</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: text 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 30.05pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: text 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 21.5pt; : transparent; mso-border-alt: solid text .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid text .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid text .5pt" vAlign=top width=40>
</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: text 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 30.05pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: text 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 21.5pt; : transparent; mso-border-alt: solid text .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid text .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid text .5pt" vAlign=top width=40>
</TD></TR>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 21.5pt; mso-yfti-irow: 2; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: text 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: text 1pt solid; WIDTH: 30.05pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: text 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 21.5pt; : transparent; mso-border-alt: solid text .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid text .5pt" vAlign=top width=40>
</TD>
</TD>
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
Inside box step 2 complete

Step 3
I took the Inside box turned it 45 degrees, placing it on top or resting on the box in step 1

<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /></v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape></v:></v:shape>
Excuse my arrows, did this free lance in acceories – but you get the point.

With the inside box resting on top of the outside box, we marked in 8 places where the boards had to be cut. With a square we just marked the board along the cut. This turned out to be quit easy. I was concerned – because this was a critical cut. Screw this up and all is lost. These cuts were done with a regular circular saw. We tried using a hand held jig saw, but the blade walked on us and was difficult to cut it straight, because you are cutting the wood at an approx 45 degree angle. The jig saw had a tough time with this cut. I needed some power and stability – circular saw.

Final
With the four corners cut off, the inside box fell right inside the outside box. Glue and screw and we were all done.

Stained it next with:
The stain used was from “MINIWAX-Polyshades Stain &amp; Polyurethane in 1 step”, the color is “antique walnut stain #340”

If I had to due it over again – what would I do.

1) Make the boxes for the wine a little larger. If I remember the hypotenuse of the 11 ¾ boxes was about 16 ½”. I would allow more room and make it approximately 17 ½ (did not measure) to allow the middle row sufficient width to lay the bottles in. We lines up four bottles and measured from end to end, then allowed for an extra 1”. This was not enough. (oh well! Live and learn)
2) I might be tempted to stain all the material at least once first. Staining was a headache and took a lot of time. Especially getting in the joints.

Back