My Chilean grapes, low PH before pitching MLB

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
Decided to enter a new thread.
Small batch, blend of Carmenere and Cab Sauv (3-2 ration)

Crushed and blended, mixed thoroughly. Let it sit for 24 hours and stirred well.

PH showed ~3.32
Left alone and pitched D254 on Saturday.

Must temp in the low 70s.
Punching down a few times daily, today checked PH and it is ~3.18

Fermentation still going but should be done in a couple days (haven't bothered to check SG).

Assuming the PH may drop even more, I'm afraid the malo culture may not work in such a low PH. :(

Would you guys adjust PH up before pitching MLB?
I only have potassium bicarbonate handy.

Decided to enter a new thread.
Small batch, blend of Carmenere and Cab Sauv (3-2 ration)

Crushed and blended, mixed thoroughly. Let it sit for 24 hours and stirred well.

PH showed ~3.32
Left alone and pitched D254 on Saturday.

Must temp in the low 70s.
Punching down a few times daily, today checked PH and it is ~3.18

Fermentation still going but should be done in a couple days (haven't bothered to check SG).

Assuming the PH may drop even more, I'm afraid the malo culture may not work in such a low PH. :(

Would you guys adjust PH up before pitching MLB?
I only have potassium bicarbonate handy.

Were it me, and assuming you're using VP41, since you're getting down close to the bottom of the range, I'd check it again just prior to pitching MLB and adjust it up into safer range a bit, without overdoing it. As long as you get MLF to go off, you can always adjust Ph further upwards later to your taste buds.

Varis, I thought you would get a false pH reading if there is still CO2 in solution (ie. it is still fermenting). I'd degas a sample and check that before you make any changes. What MLB are you thinking of using? Though it is not necessarily meant for red wines, I used a CH35 strain on my Chardonel and Dornfelder this fall because I was too cheap to buy a different strain of each. If I remember correctly (at work, no notes) the Chardonel was below 3.2 pH and I don't notice any strange flavors I can attribute to the MLB doing it's thing in the Dornfelder. Chardonel tastes great (less filling).

I was planing to use Wyeast 4007 because this is a small 6gal batch and VP41 is like $32 and I have to drive 40 miles round trip to get it :(

So...I am now trying to decide asap because if I happen to order a different strain online is may not be at my house on time. That CH35 is primarily used for Rose and whites, so wondering if taking the chance with this red blend.

Last edited:
That CH35 is primarily used for Rose and whites, so wondering if taking the chance with this red blend.

Yes, it does say on MoreWinemaking's site that it can be used successfully for reds, but it is intended for white and rosé production. I think the definition (of sucessfully) might be to successfully reduce the malic acid and not do to much in the way of additional flavor enhancement. Like I said in the earlier post, it did work on my Dornfelder, which reminds me the most of a Cabernet Franc in flavor profile, a very dark almost inky red wine and it is rated to go down to 3.0 pH.

And I did have enough confidence in CH35 to use it on my Pinot Noir bucket and grapes this Spring.

Last edited:
Thanks Craig, will check more into it as long as morewine can ship tomorrow and I get it on time by Saturday, otherwise vp41 may be my best option 40 miles round trip.

First I would try to get the must temp up over 80 for a day or two... Get that good stuff extracted. Then after the press put it through a short cold stabilization for a couple weeks if you have a frig to do that.Then mlf

I did heat up a small sample in the microwave, to about 99F and the PH seemed to be right at 3.20 on that sample.
I pressed yesterday and just racked off the gross lees this morning. Checked the PH and it was ~3.13 but the must was cold in the low 60s because I left the bucket outside overnight.

I think I am going to add just a bit of what I have handy now, potassium bicarbonate, to raise the PH to the 3.3x range, then pitch the malo.

What is the Ta?.? The acid is much more important than the Ph, unless it is very high.

What is the Ta?.? The acid is much more important than the Ph, unless it is very high.

It was in the close or .9 range or so based on my test with a ph55 meter.

Added a total of about 5 teaspoons of Potassium Bicarbonate (one at a time and checking) and stirred well to the point where the PH showed ~3.34

Left alone for over 1 hour, stirred well again and the PH was ~3.46, ufff, almost over shot because I wanted to be in the close to 3.38 range, maybe 3.40 but I think it's fine now.

Pitched MLB, placed brew belt and the clock just started....:fsh

It was in the close or .9 range or so based on my test with a ph55 meter.

Added a total of about 5 teaspoons of Potassium Bicarbonate (one at a time and checking) and stirred well to the point where the PH showed ~3.34

Left alone for over 1 hour, stirred well again and the PH was ~3.46, ufff, almost over shot because I wanted to be in the close to 3.38 range, maybe 3.40 but I think it's fine now.

Pitched MLB, placed brew belt and the clock just started....:fsh

How did/is the MLF on yours doing?

How did/is the MLF on yours doing?

Funny you ask, last night is when I started the chrome test and placed the paper in the garage this morning to dry, so we'll see later today.

Meanwhile, I decided to transfer to the 6gal oak barrel and added 1/4 tsp k-meta since I don't want to keep this wine unprotected for a longer time, small sip last night reveals that this wine is pretty much done with MLF, we'll see later when I check the paper.

pH showed ~3.50 when I racked, so this is good for me...:db

Last edited:
Here's the chromo test results.
A bit of malic but mostly done.

Sulfite and went to oak barrel.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1470358757.698232.jpg

Wish mine looked like that. :(

VP41 arriving tomorrow though. :D

I used Wyeast 4007 mlb, I found this bacteria would do the job but the pH has to be within a good range, like for any other bacteria I guess, but this one is more picky and it takes a bit longer than VP41.

Here are my Chileans, about a month in, Malbec on the right, Cab/Malbec blend second from right, Cab third from right. Hope they fare better than the Zin which has been going for 4 months and has been dosed twice.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back