My Chilean grapes, low PH before pitching MLB

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, 4 months is a long time.
I'd be panicking by now and sulfite it to call it a day, but that's just me.

John, 4 months is a long time.
I'd be panicking by now and sulfite it to call it a day, but that's just me.

Varis, I laughed when I read that! I check on it regularly, just looking for signs of anything out of the ordinary floating on top, all good. I'm a bit of a sanitation freak, so that's comforting. When I stir the MLB, I always give it a whiff, great there too. I am nervous but trying to be patient. My patience is pretty much going to end tomorrow....... Will raise pH when it goes into a barrel and try again.

You may already know but be really careful and raise it with very little additions of whatever you're using, overshooting is VERY easy..!!
Add a bit, stir well and leave alone for an hour or so, then stir well and recheck the pH again.
I found this the hard way..LOL

Thank God I did this with this batch, the pH will definitely show a different number once you mix well again after the wine sits for an hour or two.
What do you plan on using?

I used potassium bicarbonate (needs cold stabilize) which is what I had handy.

Good luck and keep us posted.

You may already know but be really careful and raise it with very little additions of whatever you're using, overshooting is VERY easy..!!
Add a bit, stir well and leave alone for an hour or so, then stir well and recheck the pH again.
I found this the hard way..LOL

Thank God I did this with this batch, the pH will definitely show a different number once you mix well again after the wine sits for an hour or two.
What do you plan on using?

I used potassium bicarbonate (needs cold stabilize) which is what I had handy.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I use potassium bicarbonate as well. Whenever I'm adjusting wines, be it Brix, TA, pH, I always go in little bitty stages, definitely great advice!

Latest posts

Back